[Support] Linuxserver.io - Code-server

Got this setup but I can't drop my SSH key in the .ssh folder. It's grayed out. When I check permissions it says I have read/write but when I try to drop it in, it just doesn't go. Doesn't say I don't have permissions, just doesn't do anything. Thanks for all your hard work!

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 9.50.08 PM.png

2 hours ago, adambeck7 said:

Got this setup but I can't drop my SSH key in the .ssh folder. It's grayed out. When I check permissions it says I have read/write but when I try to drop it in, it just doesn't go. Doesn't say I don't have permissions, just doesn't do anything. Thanks for all your hard work!

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 9.50.08 PM.png

That just looks like it's greyed out because it's hidden files. Have you tried to open the folder?

I don't know how you are accessing your appdata, but you can also copy them to the appdata folder and move them using the command line to the .ssh folder.

Hello,

Probably a dumb question - but how do I install extensions?
I've tried to install the POWERSHELL extension directly throuhg VSCODE - apparently it was installed, but after a reload of the page:

"Unable to find PowerShell. Do you have PowerShell installed?"

What is the correct way to install this extension?
Thanks in advice!

EDIT: So after reading it TWICE... problem isn't the extension itself.. but that POWERSHELL is missing.

How can I integrate it?

Edited by TDA
2 hours ago, TDA said:

Hello,

Probably a dumb question - but how do I install extensions?
I've tried to install the POWERSHELL extension directly throuhg VSCODE - apparently it was installed, but after a reload of the page:

"Unable to find PowerShell. Do you have PowerShell installed?"

What is the correct way to install this extension?
Thanks in advice!

EDIT: So after reading it TWICE... problem isn't the extension itself.. but that POWERSHELL is missing.

How can I integrate it?

You will have to find a way of installing powershell.

7 hours ago, saarg said:

That just looks like it's greyed out because it's hidden files. Have you tried to open the folder?

I don't know how you are accessing your appdata, but you can also copy them to the appdata folder and move them using the command line to the .ssh folder.

I was connecting from my macbook via smb. I was able to drop them in the code-server folder then move them into the .ssh folder from the terminal. Thanks!

5 hours ago, adambeck7 said:

Alright, next stupid question. My project is running on a web server at localhost:port. How do I access that? Could i set up ngrok on unraid somehow?

You gotta give us more info. Where is it running? Inside the code-server container?

15 hours ago, aptalca said:

You gotta give us more info. Where is it running? Inside the code-server container?

Sorry about that. Yea, code-server container is running on my server, just locally, at http://192.168.1.200:8443/. Inside the code-server terminal I navigate to my workspace folder and run my start script for my web app and it says Server listening on http://localhost:3001 but when I navigate there it's not working. Not sure how exactly to access it. 

31 minutes ago, adambeck7 said:

Sorry about that. Yea, code-server container is running on my server, just locally, at http://192.168.1.200:8443/. Inside the code-server terminal I navigate to my workspace folder and run my start script for my web app and it says Server listening on http://localhost:3001 but when I navigate there it's not working. Not sure how exactly to access it. 

You have to map the port 3001 so you get access to it outside the container. And you also need to make sure your server is running using your host IP.

7 hours ago, adambeck7 said:

Sorry, not sure exactly what you mean by this second part. 

Here's what my port mapping looks like.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 8.01.26 AM.png

You said you started the script for your web app and it started the server on localhost:3001. So you need to tell your web app server to use the host IP instead of localhost. The host IP is the unraid IP, 192.168.1.200 by the looks of your screenshot.

51 minutes ago, saarg said:

You said you started the script for your web app and it started the server on localhost:3001. So you need to tell your web app server to use the host IP instead of localhost. The host IP is the unraid IP, 192.168.1.200 by the looks of your screenshot.

Error: listen EADDRNOTAVAIL: address not available 192.168.1.200:3001
    at Server.setupListenHandle [as _listen2] (net.js:1292:21)
    at listenInCluster (net.js:1357:12)
    at doListen (net.js:1496:7)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:85:21)
Emitted 'error' event on Server instance at:
    at emitErrorNT (net.js:1336:8)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:84:21) {
  code: 'EADDRNOTAVAIL',
  errno: 'EADDRNOTAVAIL',
  syscall: 'listen',
  address: '192.168.1.200',
  port: 3001
}

Not code-server related, but any idea why it would be saying the address isn't available? I tried a few different ports I know are open but it doesn't like any of them so I'm assuming it's having an issue w/ the ip not the port. No matter which IP on my local network it crashes saying the address isn't available.  Thanks for all your help!

Edited by adambeck7
2 hours ago, adambeck7 said:

Error: listen EADDRNOTAVAIL: address not available 192.168.1.200:3001
    at Server.setupListenHandle [as _listen2] (net.js:1292:21)
    at listenInCluster (net.js:1357:12)
    at doListen (net.js:1496:7)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:85:21)
Emitted 'error' event on Server instance at:
    at emitErrorNT (net.js:1336:8)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:84:21) {
  code: 'EADDRNOTAVAIL',
  errno: 'EADDRNOTAVAIL',
  syscall: 'listen',
  address: '192.168.1.200',
  port: 3001
}

Not code-server related, but any idea why it would be saying the address isn't available? I tried a few different ports I know are open but it doesn't like any of them so I'm assuming it's having an issue w/ the ip not the port. No matter which IP on my local network it crashes saying the address isn't available.  Thanks for all your help!

Try 0.0.0.0

• Like 1

I searched around a bit but found on information on this topic: every time code-server container updates, it removes everything I installed within it. Stuff from apt (cmake, build-essential, gdb...), as well as manually build libraries like openCV & protobuf which reside in /opt or /usr. Vscode extensions are preserved, but everything else is purged.

Am I using the container in ways not intended? Is there a way to avoid this (besides not updating)?

1 hour ago, Nihil said:

I searched around a bit but found on information on this topic: every time code-server container updates, it removes everything I installed within it. Stuff from apt (cmake, build-essential, gdb...), as well as manually build libraries like openCV & protobuf which reside in /opt or /usr. Vscode extensions are preserved, but everything else is purged.

Am I using the container in ways not intended? Is there a way to avoid this (besides not updating)?

That is how docker container works. Read the blog about customizing our containers at blog.linuxserer.io for info of how to make those packages "survive" an update.

Apologies for the noob question, I can't get the script to work. I'm trying to install nodejs. Can anybody see what I'm doing wrong from the logs below?

[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] files found in /config/custom-cont-init.d executing
[custom-init] apt-get update && apt-get install -y nodejs: executing...
/bin/bash: /config/custom-cont-init.d/apt-get: No such file or directory
[custom-init] apt-get update && apt-get install -y nodejs: exited 127
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.

1 hour ago, mintjberry said:

Apologies for the noob question, I can't get the script to work. I'm trying to install nodejs. Can anybody see what I'm doing wrong from the logs below?

[cont-init.d] done.

Can you post your config?

4 hours ago, mintjberry said:

[cont-init.d] done.

Did you look at the link above your post?