Docker/VM/appdata on Unassigned Drive

Hi - been searching around and I *think* what I'm looking to do is now possible and not stupid.

I've got a second SSD coming today, and I'm looking to migrate my docker/vm img and appdata over to it as an unassigned drive.  Mainly to separate cache and docker activity so cache writes don't affect docker performance.

Is this possible, and is there anything I should look out for?

Current plan (docker side)...

• Install drive, format as XFS and mount as "Apps"
  • Run CA Backup / Restore
  • Stop docker service
  • Copy img to /disks/Apps/Docker
  • Copy appdata to /disks/Apps/appdata
  • Repoint docker img location in docker settings
  • Start docker service, stop all dockers (or set all dockers not to auto-start at the beginning)
  • Repoint each docker to new location and start
  • Once all working, remove old files from cache drive

Is there anything else to consider?  Any kind of RW/Slave setting somewhere?  Or is it just stop, copy files, repoint, start?

Disclaimer - appreciate I probably don't need cache any more really - just have shares write directly to array, but that's for another day and (potentially opens the can of worms of spinning up whilst media streaming).

Nobody else has responded to your post and I am sitting here scratching my head.   

How is Docker performance being impacted by writing a file to the cache drive in a meaningful manner?  I can see that it might in theory but does it really have a tangible real world effect that you can experience?  The speed of an ssd is so much faster than the normal file transfer requirement.  

Edited by Frank1940

Hi - thanks for that.  Lost broadband over the weekend so have only just checked.

Performance *seemed* to take a hit if several things were writing to the cache and/or mover running.  Can't say for definite what it was though.  However, the other reason I neglected to mention was that the cache drive was starting to run low on space.

Since building, docker/appdata size has crept up to the point where it wasn't difficult to fill the drive (which could take the dockers down).  Rather than upgrade the drive, I decided to add a second one and spread the load).

Copied the IMG / appdata / VM files over to the unassigned drive, repointed everything and restarted.  All seems to be working well.