UnRAID Failure While Away. Diagnostics Attached

Hi,

I was away on vacation and noticed my server went down. 

Now, I get "this is not a bootable disk please insert a bootable floppy and try again" when I try to boot.

I had an issue at the end of May where this also happened after an unclean shutdown so I have a feeling that my USB drive might be the issue.

It's a 16GB USB 3.0 drive (I know, 2.0 is best).

The diagnostics are attached:

tower-diagnostics-20190620-1956.zip

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, RevelRob said:

Hi,

I was away on vacation and noticed my server went down. 

Now, I get "this is not a bootable disk please insert a bootable floppy and try again" when I try to boot.

I had an issue at the end of May where this also happened after an unclean shutdown so I have a feeling that my USB drive might be the issue.

It's a 16GB USB 3.0 drive (I know, 2.0 is best).

The diagnostics are attached:

tower-diagnostics-20190620-1956.zip 217.8 kB · 1 download

Thanks!

That error message suggests that the BIOS has lost its setting for which is the bootable drive?     I assume that you subsequently managed to boot OK to be able to get diagnostics.  Did you have to do anything specific to achieve that?

Unrelated to the boot problem (or maybe related since some bios change boot order when a device is added or removed) but one of your cache SSD devices dropped offline, causing the docker image to corrupt:

Jun 20 14:56:13 Tower kernel: ata8: reset failed, giving up
Jun 20 14:56:13 Tower kernel: ata8.00: disabled

Check cable but it it's on a Marvell controller which are known to drop devices, also see here for better pool monitoring.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That error message suggests that the BIOS has lost its setting for which is the bootable drive?     I assume that you subsequently managed to boot OK to be able to get diagnostics.  Did you have to do anything specific to achieve that?

I put the USB in my workstation and downloaded the diagnostics file.

You may be right though as I invoked the boot menu and unraid booted up fine.

Weird because in the bios, the first option is the USB.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

Unrelated to the boot problem (or maybe related since some bios change boot order when a device is added or removed) but one of your cache SSD devices dropped offline, causing the docker image to corrupt:

Jun 20 14:56:13 Tower kernel: ata8: reset failed, giving up
Jun 20 14:56:13 Tower kernel: ata8.00: disabled

Check cable but it it's on a Marvell controller which are known to drop devices, also see here for better pool monitoring.

It is on a Marvell controller but supposedly, it's chipset is not one with the issues? It's 88SE9215. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On boot, I see a "crc error count is 8" on the SSD connected to the Marvell controller so I will try to re connect the cables just in case.