Array recreated disk6 as a folder within the array.

I am running Unraid 6.7.0 and under the "fix common problems" plugin I get the following error;

Share disk6 is identically named to a disk share;

While there *may be* (doubtful) valid use cases for having a share named identically to a disk share, this is only going to cause some confusion as if disk shares are enabled, then you will have duplicated share names, and possibly if disk shares are not enabled, then you might not be able to gain access to the share. This is usually caused by moving the contents of one disk to another (XFS Conversion?) and an improperly placed slash. The solution is to move the contents of the user share named disk6 to be placed within a validly named share. Ask for assistance on the forums for guidance on doing this.

So I had 5 disks + 1 cache drive. The cache drive became too small so I attempted to upgrade to a 1tb SSD. I did this incorrectly and accidently added 1tbSSD to the array. To resolve this I tried to follow this guide. I manually moved all the contents from 1tbSSD [known as disk6 in my unraid array] via FTP and now I am getting the error quoted above. Unraid has also created a folder named "disk6" within my array [/mnt/user/disk6] on its own.

Before I make things any more difficult for myself, can someone provide me with some direction on how to properly fix this?

To sum things up,

I want to remove a disk from my array and use this same disk to replace my existing cache drive. 

OK, take a deep breath.   Since no one else has jumped in here, I will give you a bit of insight.  What has probably happened is that when you make the copy of the contents of that ssd, is that the process created a 'new' User Share with the name of   disk6   

Verify that this is what actually happened by at the contents of this User Share.  You can do this easily from the Share Tab/Page of the GUI using the folder icon under the View Column.  If my supposition is correct, you may find several of your shares in the first level down from disk6  User Share.   Do enough browsing through that User Share to verify that this is true and that there are files there. 

From the Main Tab/Page, you can browse the physical disk 6 to verify that the contents of the User Share and that physical disk are the same.   Check to see if folder named disk6  is present on the physical disk!   (Reread this sentence several times to understand what I am saying.  You browse a Physical disk from the Main Tab/Page and User Share from the Share Tab/Page!) 

If they are the same, you are fine.  Report back here what you find and verify that you are comfortable with your findings and that you are not confused by all of this.  It is confusing and this confusion can cause serious problems due to 'pilot' error!  (And that is one of the reasons for the Fix Common Problems error!) 

NOTE:  IF anyone else is following this thread and can help out, please jump in so we can bounce ideas off of each other as we go forward from here. 

Thanks for the reply! A share titled 'Disk6' does not exist under 'User Shares' from the unraid webUI.

I dove into the folder structure to get a better idea of what is going on.

It's as if the array is being saved one directory lower than it should be. For example I have my drives 1-6 and they are mounted via /mnt/disk* and that looks normal. [When I go to /mnt/user/disk6] It's almost acting like this is a mount point for a seventh drive. If I were to manually list all 7 disks mount point it would be /mnt/disk1-6 and then a 7th disk at /mnt/user/disk6.

If this doesn't make sense please let me know and I can try and rephrase it! I'll admit I had to rewrite my response several times due to the complexity of the problem.

This is probably a side effect of how shares are handled in 6.7+ when they differ only in "case"

Easiest solution by far, with no thought is to 

1. Install Krusader
  2. On the left pane, navigate to /UNRAID/user/disk6
  3. On the right pane, navigate to /UNRAID/user
  4. Move the contents from the left to the right.
  5. Delete the folder /UNRAID/user/disk6
19 minutes ago, Squid said:

This is probably a side effect of how shares are handled in 6.7+ when they differ only in "case"

Easiest solution by far, with no thought is to 

1. Install Krusader
  2. On the left pane, navigate to /UNRAID/user/disk6
  3. On the right pane, navigate to /UNRAID/user
  4. Move the contents from the left to the right.
  5. Delete the folder /UNRAID/user/disk6

I don't think he wants to do this as it may put files back on disk 6 which OP was trying to empty so he could remove that disk physically from the array. 

EDIT:  disk 6 was disk6.  I was confusing the physical disk with the share name...

Edited by Frank1940

Ok, so your problem is that when you copied the files off your original disk6 you accidentally copied them to a folder called disk6 on disk4.

I you are ok using the command line then I would do the following:

mv /mnt/disk4/disk6/* /mnt/disk4

rmdir /mnt/disk4/disk6

Otherwise you can do as Squid suggested.

Update:   Might be safer to do as Squid suggested as Krusader will probably successfully merge folder contents if a folder already exists when moving the files/folders from the disk6 folder.

Edited by remotevisitor