Can I disable parity for a single disk?

Not directly. All array drives participate equally in parity. You can, however, set a new config, and assign the drive you want to exclude as a single cache drive. You will then have to recalculate parity with that new set of drives.

There may will be complications with this method, depending on how your system is currently configured. If you wish to pursue this, post your complete list of all drives in the computer and their associated formats.

You definitely can exclude a drive from parity by making it cache as already mentioned, or if you already have a cache disk, by managing it with the unassigned devices plugin. Either way you will be doing the new config process and needing to do a fresh parity calculation process.

It is recommended that you use an SSD for your VMS. They will perform better that way.

Sent from my chisel, carved into granite

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 3:58 PM, tr0910 said:

You definitely can exclude a drive from parity by making it cache as already mentioned, or if you already have a cache disk, by managing it with the unassigned devices plugin. Either way you will be doing the new config process and needing to do a fresh parity calculation process.

It is recommended that you use an SSD for your VMS. They will perform better that way.

Sent from my chisel, carved into granite

How do you do this (manage it using the UA Devices Plugin)? I have it installed but it looks like I can only connect NFS/SMB or ISO file share, rather than an internal virtual disk.

I need to add a pair of 1TB SSDs in a RAID0 that I don't want to be part of the normal array, but I need to be able to share it out.