[Support] binhex - HexChat

Overview: Support for Docker image arch-hexchat in the binhex repo.

Application: HexChat https://hexchat.github.io/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-hexchat/

GitHub: https://github.com/binhex/arch-hexchat

Documentation: https://github.com/binhex/documentation

For other Docker support threads and requests, news and Docker template support for the binhex repository please use the "General" thread here

If you appreciate my work, then please consider buying me a beer 😁

btn_donate_SM.gif&key=57f6b617e37a194c35

Edited by binhex
  • Like 1

This Docker image includes a basic file manager, text editor, and archive manager which can all be accessed by right clicking the desktop. These tools are useful when processing search lists downloaded via XDCC

Edited by binhex
17 hours ago, Can0nfan said:

hello @binhex

havent heard back from the lack of "webgui" option in the context menu missing for your plexpass container any word on that?

ive checked the template and i see absolutely nothing wrong with it. ive also pulled the image manually and also via CA and both times i see the WEB UI link shown, so i can only assume the issue is an old template (stored on usb key). can you try deleting the template by clicking on add container, select the plex-pass from the "my plex-pass" list and then click on the red X at the top, then re-add it again (via CA or just from the dropdown), you will need to reconfigure it from scratch this time so you might want to screenshot before you do the delete.

p.s. please dont post on random support threads, it makes life hard, so respond on the plex pass support thread.

Tested installed and ran with no issues on 6.7.0. Yet another awesome docker.

How would it be to use this to transfer a few files here and there instead of launching krusader (assuming you give the docker access to the correct folders)
and

Browse network triggers error: Failed to open "/on"? Operation not supported.  (in the file browser)

4 hours ago, ProZac said:

How would it be to use this to transfer a few files here and there instead of launching krusader (assuming you give the docker access to the correct folders)

you could do this, but krusader has quite a bit more functionality than thunar, the choice is there, i personally am using thunar as a easy way to move XDCC transfers :-).

4 hours ago, ProZac said:

Browse network triggers error: Failed to open "/on"? Operation not supported.  (in the file browser)

hmm ok i will take a quick look, not too worried about this tbh, as file transfers should be happening to the volume mappings, such as /data or /media etc

1 hour ago, binhex said:

you could do this, but krusader has quite a bit more functionality than thunar, the choice is there, i personally am using thunar as a easy way to move XDCC transfers :-).

hmm ok i will take a quick look, not too worried about this tbh, as file transfers should be happening to the volume mappings, such as /data or /media etc

Hehe true that, dont use it much anymore, but the few times it would be nice to just use something I already have up and running, will try some different variations.

No need to get the network share to work if it is a lot of work, was just wondering as it seemed like a function that was supposed to work :)

On 7/9/2019 at 6:56 AM, hmoney007 said:

Can I request that you add VPN functionality similar to your deluge and other baked-in vpn containers?

im afraid this wont get done, too complex and too large, but i am considering introduction of a socks proxy server, as part of privoxyvpn, this would then allow you to simply point hexchat at that, keep in mind not all irc servers allow connections from vpn's so you may find your fav irc server is not connectable.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:09 AM, binhex said:

im afraid this wont get done, too complex and too large, but i am considering introduction of a socks proxy server, as part of privoxyvpn, this would then allow you to simply point hexchat at that, keep in mind not all irc servers allow connections from vpn's so you may find your fav irc server is not connectable.

Ah ok, I don't use irc that often and only on freenode. I just figured this would be better than using a bouncer.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:39 PM, binhex said:

ive checked the template and i see absolutely nothing wrong with it. ive also pulled the image manually and also via CA and both times i see the WEB UI link shown, so i can only assume the issue is an old template (stored on usb key). can you try deleting the template by clicking on add container, select the plex-pass from the "my plex-pass" list and then click on the red X at the top, then re-add it again (via CA or just from the dropdown), you will need to reconfigure it from scratch this time so you might want to screenshot before you do the delete.

p.s. please dont post on random support threads, it makes life hard, so respond on the plex pass support thread.

thanks I tried that and so far webgui still not showing webgui ill will repost on the plexpass one

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, five said:

How do you load add-on's with this image? (This is the add-on I was attempting to use.)

I attempted to load the lua file via the gui and got the error message:

Unknown file type /home/nobody/.config/hexchat/addons/smartparts.lua.
Maybe you need to install the Perl or Python plugin?
Usage: LOAD [-e] <file>, loads a plugin or script

i see, Lua is required for those scripts, i have now added it to the image, please pull down latest and try it again.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 6:56 AM, hmoney007 said:

Can I request that you add VPN functionality similar to your deluge and other baked-in vpn containers?

ive now included a socks5 server in docker image privoxyvpn, so you can now point hexchat at the socks5 proxy and it will connect and use that (tested and working!).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

latest update to Hexchat broke the connection to novnc (fails to connect) 

" 2019-11-16 11:32:23,692 DEBG 'start' stdout output:
Warning: could not find self.pem

2019-11-16 11:32:23,693 DEBG 'start' stdout output:
Using installed websockify at /usr/sbin/websockify

Starting webserver and WebSockets proxy on port 6080

2019-11-16 11:32:23,788 DEBG 'start' stderr output:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/websockify", line 6, in <module>
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3251, in <module>
def _initialize_master_working_set():
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3234, in _call_aside
f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3263, in _initialize_master_working_set
working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 583, in _build_master
ws.require(__requires__)
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 900, in require
needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 786, in resolve
raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'websockify==0.8.0' distribution was not found and is required by the application

2019-11-16 11:32:24,698 DEBG 'start' stdout output:
Failed to start WebSockets proxy

2019-11-16 11:32:27,660 DEBG 'start' stdout output:
[info] tint2 not running "

Edited by Danuel
On 11/16/2019 at 11:33 AM, Danuel said:

latest update to Hexchat broke the connection to novnc (fails to connect) 

" 2019-11-16 11:32:23,692 DEBG 'start' stdout output:
Warning: could not find self.pem

Using installed websockify at /usr/sbin/websockify

Starting webserver and WebSockets proxy on port 6080

2019-11-16 11:32:23,788 DEBG 'start' stderr output:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/websockify", line 6, in <module>
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3251, in <module>
def _initialize_master_working_set():
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3234, in _call_aside
f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3263, in _initialize_master_working_set
working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 583, in _build_master
ws.require(__requires__)
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 900, in require
needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 786, in resolve
raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'websockify==0.8.0' distribution was not found and is required by the application

2019-11-16 11:32:24,698 DEBG 'start' stdout output:
Failed to start WebSockets proxy

2019-11-16 11:32:27,660 DEBG 'start' stdout output:
[info] tint2 not running "

sorry for the delay, the fix was a bit more gnarly than i thought, please pull down the new image and you should be good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 7:12 PM, bigghek said:

I just tried to install HexChat and it wont install.  It appears that Krusader and HexChat are running on the same port.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks.

you change the port that is in conflict to a different port number that isnt in use, make sure you only change the HOST port NOT the container port.

Hi there.

Im using this docker image only to chat in 2 channels on one server.

Actually the Size of this docker is quite huge.

binhex-hexchat 2.11 GB 5.75 MB 323 kB

Im wondering if there is any way to shrink this?

I dont understand why a irc client needs 2GB of Space?

55 minutes ago, Toobie said:

I dont understand why a irc client needs 2GB of Space?

thats because its not just 'a irc client' its the base os, plus x windows, plus windows maanger, plus novnc, plus hexchat dependancies, plus hexchat, plus ALL the dependancies of all of the previously mentioned moving parts, please feel free to fork and send me PR if you can reduce the space consumed significantly. keep in mind if you have more than one of my gui based docker images then the second image will consume significantly less disk space due to reuse of layers. 

2 hours ago, binhex said:

thats because its not just 'a irc client' its the base os, plus x windows, plus windows maanger, plus novnc, plus hexchat dependancies, plus hexchat, plus ALL the dependancies of all of the previously mentioned moving parts, please feel free to fork and send me PR if you can reduce the space consumed significantly. keep in mind if you have more than one of my gui based docker images then the second image will consume significantly less disk space due to reuse of layers. 

Ok thanks for the explanation.

But - im using 3 of your docker images (at this point, thanks for the work) and they are all a bit "huge"

So, is there a way to optimize this or this already optimised as written above?

image.png.95d8c97065e23c08869a142caacfea1e.png