SOLVED---usb boot drive failure

while away last week, my server stopped running.  There were major storms in the area so I thought the power just went out and all I needed to do was power on.  I got home a few days later and found the system power on, nothing on the screen and no access to unraid.  I am able to get into the bios of the server, so I am assume all is well hardware wise.  I have found that the USB boot device is dead so I  believe the storms took out the usb drive, then there was a power failure, and that took the system down.  I have a new USB drive arriving today, but I am confused on how to rebuild the drive.  I have the system automatically back up all essential files through community applications backup.  I am not hugely technical these days so I need a bit of help on how to recover this system.  What steps do I do once the drive arrives?  Any help would be appreciated as the reason I was away last week was that I was undergoing open heart surgery, and I would really love to access my plex server to watch radarr/sonarr and listen to my music collection while I am recovering.

TIA

Z

A few questions.  

First, is the USB completely dead?  Can you get any files off of it?  If you can, copy off everything that you can!

Second, Do you have the License (.key) store anywhere?  Do you have a copy of the e-mail that you got when you purchased your original license?  

Now to the heart of the matter, I don't believe that CA Backup/restore will recover your flash drive.  It backs up the appdata folder from the cache drive (in most cases) to an array drive.  You needed to make a copy of the flash drive.  (There are several ways to do this but Unraid has had one built-in for some period of time now.  You would have done this by going to    Main   >>>  Flash Device   Click on 'Flash' under the "Device" column.  Then find the "Flash Device Settings" section and click on the 'FLASH BACKUP' button.  That will download a zipped file backup of the entire flash  drive to your Download directory of your browser. ) Hopefully, you have done some sort of a backup of your flash drive in the recent past.   Otherwise, you will be rebuilding from scratch.

Even, if you have to do this, Don't worry!  Your data is safe if there is no further damage to the system.  

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

A few questions.  

First, is the USB completely dead?  Can you get any files off of it?  If you can, copy off everything that you can!

Drive is dead, not recognizing anywhere.

I did find a backup of the flashdrive dated December 22, 2018.  I am hoping it is better than nothing.  It was on a cloud backup that I use, in cold storage, so I am waiting to get that downloaded.  I did update 2 of the hard drives since that back up was done, (parity and one of the array's).

Second, Do you have the License (.key) store anywhere?  Do you have a copy of the e-mail that you got when you purchased your original license?  

I have my original receipt, but I do not have a copy of the email.  I have sent an email to [email protected] with the receipt as an attachment.

Now to the heart of the matter, I don't believe that CA Backup/restore will recover your flash drive.  It backs up the appdata folder from the cache drive (in most cases) to an array drive.  You needed to make a copy of the flash drive.  (There are several ways to do this but Unraid has had one built-in for some period of time now.  You would have done this by going to    Main   >>>  Flash Device   Click on 'Flash' under the "Device" column.  Then find the "Flash Device Settings" section and click on the 'FLASH BACKUP' button.  That will download a zipped file backup of the entire flash  drive to your Download directory of your browser. ) Hopefully, you have done some sort of a backup of your flash drive in the recent past.   Otherwise, you will be rebuilding from scratch.

Even, if you have to do this, Don't worry!  Your data is safe if there is no further damage to the system.  

Will I just have to reinstall the dockers with the same info I had prior, or am I going to have to reinstall from scratch... Mostly worried about nextcloud and plex...

thank you for the reply!

Ok, Get that backup downloaded.  IT will have your .key license file already installed.  (You can use that to automatically get a new .key for the new Boot Drive) See here for information on how to do that:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Changing_The_Flash_Device

Make a second (working copy) of that backup.  

Use the working copy of that backup for everything that follows.  Here is a link to the files and file structure for a default installation of version 6.X.X.  Use it as a reference.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Files_on_v6_boot_drive

In that working copy, go to the config folder.   Since you have changed out a couple of disks.  Delete the disk.cfg and super.dat files.  You will have to reassign the disks. 

Format your new flash drive according to these instructions for a manual format:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Getting_Started

Stop at the "Got to Download page".  Now copy the working copy to the flash drive.  (The bz* files must be in the root of the flash drive.) 

Now follow the make-bootable instructions.

You should now have a bootable Unraid Boot Drive.  Double check that you do not have the  disk.cfg and super.dat files in the config folder!!!  Now let's take a short pause and answer a few more questions.

Do you have single or dual parity?

Do you have a cache drive?  Can you easily identify it?

After you boot for the first time, it would probably be best to upgrade your Unraid version to the latest one.

About your plugins and Dockers.  I think it is probably best to update them before we start the array for the first time.  They will be using the information stored in the appdata folders which is somewhere on your array-- most likely on the cache drive if you have have one.  

18 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Ok, Get that backup downloaded.  IT will have your .key license file already installed.  (You can use that to automatically get a new .key for the new Boot Drive) See here for information on how to do that:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Changing_The_Flash_Device

Got the file and will start working on gettting it over to the new flash drives.

Make a second (working copy) of that backup.  

Done, and I guarantee you that I will be making backups more frequently now that I know that it is a manual process.

Use the working copy of that backup for everything that follows.  Here is a link to the files and file structure for a default installation of version 6.X.X.  Use it as a reference. 

https://wiki.unraid.net/Files_on_v6_boot_drive

In that working copy, go to the config folder.   Since you have changed out a couple of disks.  Delete the disk.cfg and super.dat files.  You will have to reassign the disks. 

Format your new flash drive according to these instructions for a manual format:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Getting_Started

Stop at the "Got to Download page".  Now copy the working copy to the flash drive.  (The bz* files must be in the root of the flash drive.) 

Now follow the make-bootable instructions.

You should now have a bootable Unraid Boot Drive.  Double check that you do not have the  disk.cfg and super.dat files in the config folder!!!  Now let's take a short pause and answer a few more questions.

Do you have single or dual parity?

Single parity drive

Do you have a cache drive?  Can you easily identify it?

I am thinking I will be able to identify.  I have 2 drives, one that is a 250 G and one that is a 240G.  They are set up in a pool configuration.

After you boot for the first time, it would probably be best to upgrade your Unraid version to the latest one.

About your plugins and Dockers.  I think it is probably best to update them before we start the array for the first time.  They will be using the information stored in the appdata folders which is somewhere on your array-- most likely on the cache drive if you have have one.  

Do you know which drive is the parity drive?  With single parity, you can assign the data drives to any slot and parity will still be correct.  However, you  must be correct on which drive is the parity drive as data loss can easily occur if you assign a data drive as a parity.  (EDIT: if you want to preserve parity use the New Config tool under Tools and check the box to preserve parity.  See comment below about doing that.) 

If you don't know, you assign all drives as data drives and start the array.  One - and only-- drive will be unformatted.  (If you have more than one, stop and ask for more help!!!)  Stop the array and assign the unformatted drive as the parity drive.  (You may have to unassign the unformatted drive to get it to forget that it was assigned as a data drive, restart the array, stop the array and then assign the unformatted drive as parity.)  I would also move the drive in the last data drive slot into the hole created when you moved the unformatted drive to the parity slot.  As I recall. this method will cause parity to be rebuilt.  (While preserving parity might seem like a good idea, a powercut will often invalidate parity for many reasons.  It seems like the consensus is to always rebuild parity.  The logic being if the error is on a data disk, there usually is no way to figure out which one.  Thus by rebuilding parity if a second subsequently has to be replaced, we can rebuild it accurately.  If parity is not updated the second would be rebuilt with an error in it caused by the error on the first disk.)  

The cache pools is one area that I have  never used. Apparently, there are several choices for the setup of the cache pool, do you remember which one you picked?   Perhaps, @johnnie.black will jump in as he seems to have a lot expertise in this area.  

Backing up the flash drive is only one thing to do.  Making a printout (or a screen capture) of the drive assignments any time you change them is another good idea.  

Edited by Frank1940
5 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

The cache pools is one area that I have  never used. Apparently, there are several choices for the setup of the cache pool, do you remember which one you picked?   Perhaps, @johnnie.black will jump in as he seems to have a lot expertise in this area.  

If the cache was setup as a pool OP just needs to assign all the original pool devices (order doesn't matter) before first array start.

• Like 1

thank you all for the help.  I have copied all files over to the new USB drive, removed disks.cfg and super.dat from the config folder, made sure the bz* files are in the root, and I have made the drive bootable.  I know which 2 drives are new, but I do not know which one is parity. 

Just to confirm I am doing everything correctly in order, do I now start the system with the new boot USB? 

when do I do the "new config" tool?

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

If the cache was setup as a pool OP just needs to assign all the original pool devices (order doesn't matter) before first array start.

so all I have to do on this is to assign the 2 SSD's and once I am ready to start the array, everything will just work, without having to go in and changing raid1 to single on pool information?

I found an old screenshot of the drive configuration, so I know which drive was the parity drive, so I am thinking the array should be fine.  The 1 and 2 TB drives were replaced with 4's.

image.thumb.png.061ca7e0b4b09143db544673b3d037a3.png

I reworked the file system conversion procedure a bit to use New Config utility.  I have not tested this but it seems like it should work.  @johnnie.black, @jonathanm, Please review and see if I missed anything. 

If you don't know, you assign all drives (except your cache drives)  as data drives and start the array.  One - and only-- drive will be unformatted.  (If you have more than one, stop and ask for more help!!!)  IF all is well, do this:

1-- First get a screenshot of the Main page and disk assignments.  ( You probably not need this but having it will be a guarantee!)  Stop the array; we are now going to swap the drive assignments

2-- Click on Tools, then New Config, then Retain current configuration: (from version 6.6 onwards it's Preserve current assignments), then select All, then check Yes I want to do this, click Apply then Done
Important Warning! Doing a New Config will reset the file system type for all disks to Auto! While usually this is not a problem, especially with the latest unRAID, in some circumstances this can lead to unmountable disk(s). If that happens, then you need to select the correct file system for those disk(s). If in doubt, ask for help!

3-- Go back to the Main page.  Check the serial of the unformatted disk,  Unassign that disk from the its present slot.  Click on the dropdown for the Parity drive and assign the unformatted disk as parity using its serial number.

4-- Note the serial number of the last data disk.  Now unassign it from that slot.

5-- Click on the dropdown for the slot of that the unformatted drive (which is now assigned as the parity drive) and reassign it to the physical drive that was in the bottom slot of the data array.  Be sure that the bottom slot is now unassigned

6-- You should see all array disks with blue icons, and a warning (All data on the parity drive will be erased when array is started), and a check box for Parity is already valid. VERY IMPORTANT!  IF you want to preserve parity, you will have to click that box.) 

(While preserving parity might seem like a good idea, a powercut will often invalidate parity for many reasons.  It seems like the consensus is to always rebuild parity.  The logic being if the error is on a data disk, there usually is no way to figure out which one.  Thus by rebuilding parity if a second disk subsequently has to be replaced, we can rebuild it accurately.  If parity is not updated the second disk would be rebuilt with an error in it caused by the error on the first disk.)  

7-- Start the array.

One More Thing!!!!  NEVER format a disk while doing this procedure.  If you get a request to format a disk, STOP and find why.  Automatically clicking on the format button will cause any data on that disk to be lost! 

2 minutes ago, ZosoPage1963 said:

I don't believe I should have a worry now, correct?

Yes, as long as you're sure that drive is still parity, also if you check "parity is already valid" nothing major will be written to parity, and you can confirm all is well, if you're not sure unassign parity for now.

25 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Please review and see if I missed anything.

I have an idea for keeping parity completely synchronized, as mounting the drives to check for data will alter parity slightly. @johnnie.black, would it work to start the array in maintenance mode with all drives as data, then run file system checks on all the drives? Perhaps even checking for all 3 valid formats?

Or, maybe it would be too much work, but I can envision a script that would walk through all block devices, check for valid filesystems, and report back the most likely FS type. The script could be run before even assigning any drives, so we would have a better idea of how the assignments should be made.

Pie in the sky time, but maybe that kind of scripted logic could be assigned to a "Detect existing configuration" button on the Main GUI page, where it could make a best efforts guess at what should be assigned where.

7 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I have an idea for keeping parity completely synchronized, as mounting the drives to check for data will alter parity slightly. @johnnie.black, would it work to start the array in maintenance mode with all drives as data, then run file system checks on all the drives? Perhaps even checking for all 3 valid formats? 

It would, though with an even number of that drives parity sometimes appears to have a valid filesystem, and might be confusing, for those wanting to do it the safest way possible I believe easiest way is to mount each disk read only manually.

it looks like I am up.  Parity is being rebuilt.  VM came up immediately, which amazed me a bit...

I am seeing a few docker containers that when I try to apply update, I get this message:

image.png.8b5536d88ea504d9cd427c16e7350466.png

and I went into ca backup, and there were no backups to restore from.  Seems like most of the stuff is saved.  I may have to rebuild MariaDB for nextcloud, and I may have to rebuild plex unless you guys know if there is something I can do with the above message.

• ZosoPage1963 changed the title to SOLVED---usb boot drive failure