Advice on new Hardware 2 x Intel Xeon E5645 - 2U 12 Bay

you might have seen my other post about transferring my HD's from my old workstation to a Server base hardware. if so then this is a carry on.

I have been looking around the internet and I found this nice bit of hardware going for a song. and I would like your option on it, as I am looking for a system that will allow me to expand my storage and also to allow me to run a few VM's with easy.

Supermicro SYS-6026T-E1R12 2U 12 Bay LFF Rackmount Server, 2 x Intel Xeon E5645, 24Gb RAM, 

I am not sure about the noise level from this type of hardware, but I have been told that you can replace the current internal fans with quieter ones,

looking at the CPUBenchmark for Passmark the CPUS are only getting a 6424, 

so what do you think, and tell me if there is a better option.

Edited by chris_netsmart

DIY component in rack case, 2 case, 3U 16bay have SAS blackplane and 2U 12bay haven't, Ryzen 1700, LSI HBA, SAS expander, 10GNIC.

Some comment, moden hardware may be a bit expensive, but obsolete hardware have too much limitation.

Edited by Benson

You are on the right track. Most of this old server stuff is solid as a rock, and most will work fine. I would go one gen newer though with Intel 2670 gen E5 cpu. The power usage will be less than half and the cost will still be reasonable. Ask about the disk controllers as you won't want ones limited to 2tb. Oh and yes they will be noisy, so knowing your options ahead of the game is recommended. Some can be easily fixed some can't.

Sent from my chisel, carved into granite

thanks tr0910.  As this will be Plex media server / NAS / VM server I am looking at a range of hardware,  and when saw this I through I found it. but at the moment I would be limited by the MAX size of the HD to 2TB - I have been looking at Disk Controllers to allow to install much higher compatible HD's

as I mention I also look at the CPU and I might think about replacing this to a better version that will give me a better rating for Plex and a lower power usage, and lastly I am glad that I am on the right tracks with the Fans.

1 hour ago, chris_netsmart said:

thanks Benson.  I am getting confused between a Enterprise server build or build it myself with a Home market motherboard,  similar to yours Motherboard.

Best analogy i got,

Home stuff is like a f150 truck (or whatever) and Enterprise is like a freighliner or mac truck.

One will run about 300K miles whilst the other its just getting broke in at a million miles.

You paid upfront for each but one will outlast the other.

so you are saying to go for the Enterprise :-)

so far thanks for your advice, I am going to go and see what else is out there and see what I can get for my money.
I hope you don't mind if I pick your brains, as and when I need help.

first choose do I buy a prebuild Enterprise server ? or build my own. 
Yes Enterprise equipment is best. Buying last generation castoffs is highly recommended. Buying new today without the benefit of Dell like buying power is going to cost more than most will want to spend.

Finding the right castoffs is the challenge. Servethehome forums are a good place to find the details on the hardware hitting the market

Sent from my chisel, carved into granite

23 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

thanks Benson.  I am getting confused between a Enterprise server build or build it myself with a Home market motherboard,  similar to yours Motherboard.

Enterprise or Home build have pros cons.

Just search the right/like one, no matter E or H.

Today, my HBA dead during running, should be overheat, this is my first HBA dead, replace it and increase cooling.

Edited by Benson

@tr0910 the site Servethehome. Just got me more confused.

I am leaning towarda a enterprice build. With Xeon CPUs but at the moment i am not sure if i want to do a homemade build and put it inside a Workstation case with 12 bays or go with a old refurb.

The problem is that it all comes down to cost as i would like to get the bloke of it around £500.

Edited by chris_netsmart
Spelling :-(
10 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

Side step a bit.  What about a AMD Ryzen setup with a basic MB and put my money into the CPU.

Some history, I first use Unraid ~3 yrs ago, use old hardware with onboard SATA, then Ryzen, storage card, 10GNIC, rack case step in step change ....... I am a DIY guy, always, I also like try new technology but must in fair price, the main key is "let me change" and "provide storage need".

When Ryzen 1st hit market, so impressive, low price, low power usage, 8 core, 8 SATA, 20 CPU PCIe .... I like I/O things much more then CPU power.

As I want to overcome some performance stuff, so I change to Ryzen, it work good, but not much different if compare previously. Until recent, I virtualize it to host 2 Unraid and a Windows VM then it start to show its potential.

I hope you can understand what your need, different application and different factor would direct the decision, its not about how us like or not like. Also, some change may not got expect result too.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:00 PM, chris_netsmart said:

thanks tr0910.  As this will be Plex media server / NAS / VM server I am looking at a range of hardware,  and when saw this I through I found it. but at the moment I would be limited by the MAX size of the HD to 2TB - I have been looking at Disk Controllers to allow to install much higher compatible HD's

If this hardware could fullfill your need, then add a LSI HBA may fine too. ( you also need check CPU good for Plex / VM or not, also power usage, noise level etc.

Edited by Benson
14 hours ago, Benson said:

Some history, I first use Unraid ~3 yrs ago, use old hardware with onboard SATA, then Ryzen, storage card, 10GNIC, rack case step in step change ....... I am a DIY guy, always, I also like try new technology but must in fair price, the main key is "let me change" and "provide storage need".

When Ryzen 1st hit market, so impressive, low price, low power usage, 8 core, 8 SATA, 20 CPU PCIe .... I like I/O things much more then CPU power.

As I want to overcome some performance stuff, so I change to Ryzen, it work good, but not much different if compare previously. Until recent, I virtualize it to host 2 Unraid and a Windows VM then it start to show its potential.

I hope you can understand what your need, different application and different factor would direct the decision, its not about how us like or not like. Also, some change may not got expect result too.

If this hardware could fullfill your need, then add a LSI HBA may fine too. ( you also need check CPU good for Plex / VM or not, also power usage, noise level etc.

Hi benson. I to am slso diy person but i have been out of the hardware game for a very long time and now it am playing catch up.

I am waiting for the new Ryzen cpus to be release and then i will go shopping. 

Like all of us in here i have a wishlist of what i would like my hardware to do. Like  6 streams from plex.  Have 6 to 8 sata ports,  able to run 2 to 3 VMs at the same time, be quite and have a low power profile.

One of the things i am in two minds about is hot swap HD bays. But this will need more research