Shares disappearing - STILL HAPPENING

This is re a topic I posted in February.  I posted logs then and asked if there was any update - no response.  Here's the post:

I'm on unRAID 6.7.1 right now and this is still an issue.  I've just tried to delete 1365 files from an NFS share and the shares immediately disappeared, effectively taking our production NAS offline.  The only way to get them back is to completely restart the NAS.

@limetech You acknowledged there's a bug report for this back in February.  Did anything happen with it?

Just now, BRiT said:

I think anyone from the community who may try to help you now will ask that you post your Diagnostics file from the time after the server experiences the issue and before it's rebooted to recover.

Yes they will but I've posted them before.  The issue is identical.

Besides, being a production NAS it is far more important to get it back up and running than remember to dump diagnostics every time (which I think should be stored permanently elsewhere, although I don't know how to do it/if there's a way to do it).

There is support for persistent syslogs since 6.7.0.

Enhanced syslog handling.  On Settings/Network Services page click on Syslog Server.  Here you can designate this server to receive system logs from other Unraid OS servers, or forward this servers syslog to another local or remote server.

Also, if there are stack traces or dumps in the logs, they would be slightly different considering all the changes since then.

28 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Yes, but I believe that requires the setup of a Syslog server (which I haven't done, yet).

Oh well, I guess I'll set one up and make unRAID crash again, since I can reproduce this issue.

Setup unRAID to point at itself, which I assume is a valid configuration.

Edited by digitalformula
25 minutes ago, BRiT said:

By the way, I have tried setting up unRAID to point at itself, which does work.

However nothing shows up in the Syslog at all when unRAID crashes as I've described above.  For that reason I'd say the logs are pretty much useless.  What you see below is when I started Syslog and then rebooted after I forced unRAID to bomb again.

Jul  5 13:52:01 df-unRAID rsyslogd:  [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.1903.0" x-pid="26176" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] start

Jul  5 14:00:47 df-unRAID root: Delaying execution of fix common problems scan for 10 minutes
Jul  5 14:00:47 df-unRAID emhttpd: Starting services...
Jul  5 14:00:47 df-unRAID emhttpd: shcmd (205): /etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart
Jul  5 14:00:48 df-unRAID rsyslogd:  [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.1903.0" x-pid="5461" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Jul  5 14:00:49 df-unRAID root: Starting Samba:  /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
Jul  5 14:00:49 df-unRAID root:                  /usr/sbin/smbd -D
Jul  5 14:00:49 df-unRAID root:                  /usr/sbin/winbindd -D

@limetech Thanks for your response.  I have tried setting the fuse_remember Tunable setting to 600 and, while it did seem to help for a few minutes, the problem came back straight away.  Here is what I did:

- Created 1000 zero byte files in /mnt/user/sys/1000_files

- Deleted them via NFS mount on my client.  This worked; I don't recall this ever working in the past.

- Created 1000 1.2MB files in /mnt/user/sys/1000_files

- Deleted them via NFS mount on my client.  All shares immediately disappeared.

FYI

29 minutes ago, Abzstrak said:

what do you mean they disappeared?  like showmount doesn't show them?  nfs server crashed? can you just restart nfs?

Are they all in one folder and your just doing a "rm *" or something?

I mean exactly that.  Not deleted, just completely stopped/down/unavailable.

GUI shows no shares and SSH listing of /mnt/user just shows "????????".

No, restarting NFS doesn't help.  The only way to get them back to reboot the entire unRAID server.

No, I'm deleting them from an NFS mount in my Linux client (Ubuntu 19.04, but was 18.04 before that).  Yes, they're all in one folder.

Your problem was diagnosed in your previous topic as a kernel problem. You also mentioned in the previous topic that 6.5.3 worked.

Given you repeatedly say it's a prod server which you need stability then why not just downgrade to 6.5.3?

When it's a kernel problem, screaming loudly won't do anything. Been there, done that, did not help.

Btw, diagnostics already attached to a previous topic (or sent to LT) does not mean you shouldn't attach a fresh new set of diagnostics.

• You really expect people to go back to your previous topic(s), dig through the rambling to find your old diagnostics? It's a forum FFS, it's not paid support.
  • So I'm nice and I went through this topic + TWO previous topics raised by you (Oct 2018, Feb 2019, this one) and still have NOT found any diagnostics.