Current pending sector disappears?

Hey!

Yesterday unRAID 6.7.2 send me a warning that one drive has current pending sectors, I've checked the SMART data at disk 3 and the drive had one current pending sector. Since it was late, I just shut down the server to deal with the problem today. After I've started the server the current pending sector has gone, but the reallocated sector count is still zero, offline uncorrectable is also zero. How can a current pending sector just disappear without being corrected as reallocated sector?

The syslog shows two read error on disk 3 though but the SMART data are fine (again).

Jul  5 11:30:45 NAS kernel: print_req_error: critical medium error, dev sdi, sector 1465157503
Jul  5 11:30:45 NAS kernel: md: disk3 read error, sector=1465157440
Jul  5 11:30:45 NAS kernel: md: disk3 read error, sector=1465157448

I'm running a SMART extended self-test right now, maybe the test will show a problem.

But I'm still confused about this behavior, I don't get it how a pending sector can just disappear 🤷‍♂️

Any advice how I should continue if the extended SMART test shows no problems?

I've attached the diagnostics and the current disk 3 SMART report.

nas-diagnostics-20190705-1140.zip WDC_WD15EARS-00Z5B1_WD-WMAVU1156825-20190705-1344.txt

3 minutes ago, Just Me said:

I'm running a SMART extended self-test right now, maybe the test will show a problem.

That's the best option, SMART attributes some times behave strangely, possible due to firmware issues, extended test will confirm if there's still a problem or not.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

A pending sector can also disappear if the next attempt to write to it succeeds.    It only gets reallocated if that also fails.

Thank you, new to me. Good to know.

3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

That's the best option, SMART attributes some times behave strangely, possible due to firmware issues, extended test will confirm if there's still a problem or not. 

The extended test finished without errors. SMART data look fine. Still two read error in the syslog though.

Maybe just reboot and check if there are still errors? Or try a non correcting Parity-Check? Not really sure how to handle these errors 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Just Me

The error appears to have been a real disk error, especially if accompanied by a pending sector warning, still disk is good for now, I would keep it but if any more errors in the near future replace, you can run a parity check (non correct), but since the SMART test passed it should also complete without errors, keep an eye on it for now, and rebooting will clear the array errors.

• Like 1