Need HELP asap can't boot Windows 10 VM

Ok guys and Gals I need some help….

I have been running UNRAID for over 5 years maybe more and have never had a problem the other day I upgraded the server to 32GBb of memory from 16GB.

Well something went horribly wrong and I lost my cache drive. I have two 500GB SSD for the cache pool upon rebooting the system after adding the ram one of the cache drive had an error so after looking at it, I might have bumped a cable when installing the ram.

So, after fixing what I thought was the issue I re-added the drive back to the cache pool and that is where the real problem started long store short it wiped the drive and I lost the ability to start the cache pool.

So, I was able to mount one of the drives and backup the data at this point I need to reinstall all the dockers and VM and I guess I have no choice but to start over because nothing seem to work right on a few of the dockers that I have tried I will deal with that.

At this point I have a VM disk which I desperately need to get the files off of it. It was a VM of my ScreenConnect Server and has all of my client’s remote sessions on it.

I cannot get the VM to startup is there a way to just mount the VM so I can get the files off of it? I have tried to attach it to and new running Windows 10 VM as a second disk but I can not read the image

PLEASE HELP SO STREESED RIGHT NOW…..

Here is what the XML files looks like.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>Windows 10 SC</name>
  <uuid>931b6586-25f8-34fb-7fa0-89e110fc8c69</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="windows.png" os="windows10"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>2097152</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='7'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.5'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/931b6586-25f8-34fb-7fa0-89e110fc8c69_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='localtime'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/Test/vdisks/Windows 10/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/ISOs/virtio-win-0.1.141-1.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdb' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='1'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'/>
    <controller type='ide' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:c9:ab:fe'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='cirrus' vram='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

Thanks,

Dean

2019-07-05 17_30_58-Window.png

Maybe that could help.

1. duplicate the vm (vdisk1.img) to another folder.

2. create a new vm.

3. Add the same maschine (i440fx-2.5) and bios (ovmf) with same version, then add the same Primary vDisk (the duplicaded one), before you create it, add all the other stuff, too. You have to make sure that all settings are right, then you can finish and run it. I hope this will work!

Edited by Tauro
3 hours ago, Benson said:

2 SSD in RAID1 ? Mount it in degrade mode could help ? Idea only.

In command prompt, what show if tylpe ”btrfs filesystem show“

Ok to be clear the cache pool has been reformatted after I was able to get the files (Or so I thought)

3 hours ago, Tauro said:

Maybe that could help.

1. duplicate the vm (vdisk1.img) to another folder.

2. create a new vm.

3. Add the same maschine (i440fx-2.5) and bios (ovmf) with same version, then add the same Primary vDisk (the duplicaded one), before you create it, add all the other stuff, too. You have to make sure that all settings are right, then you can finish and run it. I hope this will work!

That is kinda what I did.

1. I created a new VM and used the old vdisk.img

2. The setting you see are from the new VM I created I am not sure what the old setting were.

3. This the problem the VM was created a long time ago and I don't remember or have the Machine  and bios setting I do know it was using OVMF.

Is there any way to get the machine info from the libvirt.img

On 7/5/2019 at 2:57 PM, dolivas27 said:

At this point I have a VM disk which I desperately need to get the files off of it. It was a VM of my ScreenConnect Server and has all of my client’s remote sessions on it.

If all you need are just files, I would probably start with just making a brand new Win10 VM, and add a second HD entry and point that to your old VM image file. Once Windows is back up and going. You should be able to browse it and copy/move files from one image onto the other.

If you're looking to save the entire VM, if you can get it to boot off the Windows10 ISO probably have to repair the Windows boot with bcdedit (a guess). 

Ok I have tried to add the img as a second drive on a new Win10 VM I have built but it does not show up and when I got to the diskmgmt in windows it wants me to initialize the disk. I did not and did a rescan of the disks and it does show the disk now see the picture.

But when I click on the F drive, I get this message and can not access the files or anything on the disk.

It shows the file system as RAW?

All I need is a few files off the image I did not have them backed up (BONE HEAD MOVE ON MY PARTS)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dean

2019-07-08 18_55_13-Window.png

2019-07-08 18_55_37-Window.png

Edited by dolivas27
20 minutes ago, dolivas27 said:

But when I click on the F drive, I get this message and can not access the files or anything on the disk.

It shows the file system as RAW?

Suggests a hosed file system, corrupted some point along the way - explains why it didn't want to boot off of it before. 

I've never tried this in a VM, but I use this program all the time at work:  https://www.r-studio.com/Data_Recovery_Download.shtml

You could install the demo in your running VM, to see if it even able to read the corrupt image file, and that would at least tell you if you have a shot at getting your files back.

Ok well that didn't work so at this point I think I am screwed.

Everything I backup on the disk I can read but none of the images are readable there weird thing is all the image show as small size like the one I am really working on only shows a size of 39.8MB 

Is the problem because it was a Btrfs files system and windows has no idea how to tell the true size?

I should have not wiped the cache drives but I was in such a panic to get my Data back and the system up and running. 

I was able to get everything else off the cache drive but none of the VM's work and I can't read anything from the images.

Edited by dolivas27