broken USB after BIOS update

Hi,

seems that a bios update broke my USB (again)

happened last time, now looks like it again, at least unraid booted again but with alot of errors

i cant edit settings (save doesnt do anything) and my dockers are not loading anymore ...

plugins and shares are still there and working, but system and dockers are broken.

as my last key exchange is not 1 year gone ... im currently a little ... this happened now the second time in row.

any help really aapreciated ...

image.thumb.png.90415b257325a10ff298a9925f6be4c9.png

Ideally use a USB2 port for the boot drive.  If not an option, try another USB3 handled via a different controller (ie: not the port directly above or below the current port).  IE: Your flash odds on dropped offline and there is a ton of bread errors in the log.

what i did, i formatted the same stick fresh, system booted and i could make changes and they where saved,

settings where blank ...

then i copied over my backup files (configs ...), system also booted exept shares where not here (no drives assigned)

i assigned them, started array and the failure is back ... black theme gone, message about system notifications,

when i change anything its all messed again ... and i really wouldnt like to start from scratch ;)

my vm´s are all starting up btw ...

so i guess my usb is fine, but some config file is broken ?

diags attached

alsserver-syslog-20190706-2123.zip

any chance i could revert back to my previous usb stick ?

as that one was also not working anymore on the last BIOS update ... i took a new then to that time and renewed license,

but when i remember correctly i got a message that this is only allowed once a year ?

or really start setup from scratch and try one by one when the system crashes ?

ok, im 1 step further, i guess i can reproduce what is happening ...

updating bios did change the address of vfio USB wich i pass through to my main VM

i changed the vfio bind to the correct one for booting, but it looks like i cant do anything about the VM cause its on autostart and i cant

change the setting cause flash breaks as soon i regulat boot up.

When i boot in safe mode i cant access the vm settings cause array is not started etc ...

so now i renamed the ibvirt.img and the system boots up with dockers etc and all is fine, exept my vm´s are gone (of course) ...

question now is, is there a way to disable autostart in any way when i put back my original ibvirt.img ?

or can i import my xml´s from the "old" libvirt.img ?

38 minutes ago, alturismo said:

added the 3 vm´s now again, seems fine meanwhile ... after alot of crashes etc ...

may a suggestion, making at least the autostart option via config in case of such fails due bios updates ... 

It IS a config option!   I always leave the autostart option disabled as I like to be in control when the system is rebooted.

nevermind

to bring it together

the breaking point was the change of the vfio bus due a bios update and autostart on the vm where the bus then broke the usb bus from unraid.

pci usb passthrough ... change from 07... to 08... while then 07... was the unraid one ... and as the vm was setted up to use 07... passthrough it

always ended up here with a crash as soon the vm started, and it starts always as soon the array starts, and without array i cant edit the vm.

before bios update

07:00:0 PCi USB Card (passed to VM)

after BIOS update

07:00:0 USB Bus from system where unraid is booting from

08:00:0 PCi USB Card (passed to VM) <<-- new bus ....

so, i booted up after bios update AND edited the vfio.config, BUT the VM setting still was on the OLD bus wich now was the USB bus from unraid usb ...

so, when i start unraid normally, the vm did also start and i couldnt do anything anymore (no more settings at all ...), the VM was working actually ...

webui as described in 1st post and flash was "disconnected"

when i start without array i cant edit the vm to change the bus in xml from the vm ... so im in a mousetrap then ...

solution was now to me, ren the /system/ibvirt.img ... system booted up with started array and adding the vm´s again ... new ibvirt.img of course,

by opening the original ibvirt.img it was pretty easy cause i could check the settings etc ... but opening a 1bg file in notepad aint so nice ;)

i know i have the options to autostart the array or autostart vm etc, my suggest would be to make the autostart vm adjustable in such a case ...

may it is in some config wich i couldnt find, but in the end i guess ALL vm settings are in ibvirt.img wich is not editable normally ... only through

vm manager wich only works with a running array. thats why i was in this "mousetrap", nvm, got it solved and all is up again ...

Edited by alturismo