Broken array! please help!

Hi all,

Not entirely sure what has happened to my array but I will try to explain.

So I added a new 8TB hdd to the array this morning and rebooted. I had moved a few cables around so I had to choose new slots for 2 drives in the array. This I did and everything seemed fine. I started Pre-clear on the new hdd and went out for the afternoon. When I came home I found the array offline, an error FAIL: unRAID's Preclear signature not valid. From looking at the array it seemed that 2 drives were missing one of which was the new hdd. So I shutdown the server and opened the box. I think a badly seated sata cablewas the proble. I checked all the connections and rebooted. once the machine was up I find my disk 1 is disabled and contents emulated, however in the array operation page I find the error Unmountable disk present:
Disk 1 • ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZDH0VGAE (sdj). I cannot re-add the missing disk like before. The array seems to be up now but I have no docker containers therefore nothing much works in my house at the moment.

I am wary of doing anything to it as I don't want to lose any data.

Any help would be amazing

Thanks

Squiggley

heart-of-gold-diagnostics-20190706-2238.zip

17 hours ago, Squiggley said:

Hi all,

Not entirely sure what has happened to my array but I will try to explain.

So I added a new 8TB hdd to the array this morning and rebooted. I had moved a few cables around so I had to choose new slots for 2 drives in the array. This I did and everything seemed fine.

This confuses me.  Why did you need to move cables around?  Shouldn't you have just needed to add one for the new 8TB drive?  Also, even if you did move the cables around, if everything was attached properly, then shouldn't you have only had to add ONE more disk to the array?

I think you may have made a big boo boo as you only added one new disk physically, but you indicate that you had to choose new slots for TWO.  You may have inadvertently purged some data.

17 hours ago, Squiggley said:

I started Pre-clear on the new hdd and went out for the afternoon. When I came home I found the array offline, an error FAIL: unRAID's Preclear signature not valid. From looking at the array it seemed that 2 drives were missing one of which was the new hdd. So I shutdown the server and opened the box. I think a badly seated sata cablewas the proble. I checked all the connections and rebooted. once the machine was up I find my disk 1 is disabled and contents emulated, however in the array operation page I find the error Unmountable disk present:
Disk 1 • ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZDH0VGAE (sdj). I cannot re-add the missing disk like before. The array seems to be up now but I have no docker containers therefore nothing much works in my house at the moment.

I am wary of doing anything to it as I don't want to lose any data.

Any help would be amazing

Thanks

Squiggley

heart-of-gold-diagnostics-20190706-2238.zip 128.94 kB · 0 downloads

The logs themselves don't reveal much because everything you did with respect to array operations was done before the reboot, so I can't see what actions actually took place there.

Yikes I guess I have made a mess of it! I had to disconnect sata cables to take the drive caddy out to fit the new hdd in it. That's when I must have knocked a cable out.

So I now have

a) One drive out of the array that I can see all the files on

b) One drive in the array that says it has no file system.

c) My new drive which is preclearing as we speak

My plan is once the new drive has finished preclearing to copy all the data off the drive a) outside of the array onto c)

Then I should be left with just the data from 1 drive b) potentially missing. I am hoping a parity check/ rebuild might recover that.

In the grand scheme of things Unraid has performed well and limited my ineptitude.

Thanks for the response!

• 3 weeks later...