7x GPU passthrough into Windows VM

Posted this in the wrong area earlier, 

Hi, before I splash out on building this I wanted to try and flesh out the compatibility first.

im building a 7 GPU machine for animation and wanted to be able to pass through all 7 to one VM (Windows is definitely able to accept this, mac I think is troublesome)

ill be using a server grade motherboard with dual xeon and 7 x16 slots (all with relevant lanes from the dual cpu) so my question is has anyone done more than 1 GPU to a VM and has anyone tried with mac? Also interested in Linux options to if it’s been tried? Thanks in advance for any help.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 10:10 PM, Formal said:

Posted this in the wrong area earlier, 

Hi, before I splash out on building this I wanted to try and flesh out the compatibility first.

im building a 7 GPU machine for animation and wanted to be able to pass through all 7 to one VM (Windows is definitely able to accept this, mac I think is troublesome)

ill be using a server grade motherboard with dual xeon and 7 x16 slots (all with relevant lanes from the dual cpu) so my question is has anyone done more than 1 GPU to a VM and has anyone tried with mac? Also interested in Linux options to if it’s been tried? Thanks in advance for any help.

When I read your post I decided to try it. I passed through two GPU's  to the same Windows 10 VM. I did not test it extensively, but it seems to work. I was able to extend the desktop across two monitors and everything. Maybe if I get a chance I will try in on MacOS.

Edit: Just tried it on MacOS. Same result. It works.

Edited by Jagadguru