UPS on battery - No Notification

Trying to get notifications when UPS for unraid goes onto battery backup.

The internet/router/switch ETC is all battery backup as well. i did a simulated test and internet stayed home and able to connect to server still.

However no notifications but other notifications show up. It does show "On Battery in the UPS settings"

Here is my UPS make/model  http://www.sizemyups.com/specs/1011/90000659/BR/0/ image.thumb.png.c8f6a75e98570b932b504bde114ff574.png

image.thumb.png.32d0af379519107a631ac3c8f84c52c0.png

First, I would suggest a test to see if that UPS/apcupsd work together.  Set the    'Time on battery before shutdown (seconds)'   to 30 and pull the plug and see if the server gets shutdown.  

Second, does Unraid actually send out e-mail?  You can test this:   Settings   >>>>  Notifications  >>>>  SMPT Settings   and click on the 'TEST' button.  

Now in an actual power failure situation, you will have to have your network stay up and running until after the server has shutdown!  You might be surprised at how many folks don't have the modem (or the router, or the switch) on a UPS! 

2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

First, I would suggest a test to see if that UPS/apcupsd work together.  Set the    'Time on battery before shutdown (seconds)'   to 30 and pull the plug and see if the server gets shutdown.  

Second, does Unraid actually send out e-mail?  You can test this:   Settings   >>>>  Notifications  >>>>  SMPT Settings   and click on the 'TEST' button.  

Now in an actual power failure situation, you will have to have your network stay up and running until after the server has shutdown!  You might be surprised at how many folks don't have the modem (or the router, or the switch) on a UPS! 

I have it set to 50% of ups or 10 minutes left.

These notifications only send when the server shuts down?

the SMTP works fine and sends email.

I double checked my internet and it stays home when unplugged.

I suggested that setting so you can see if it sends the notification on a power outage.  (With your current settings, you could take a half-hour on battery before the shutdown started. )

I am pretty sure it only sends the message as a part of the actual shutdown sequence.  So to check you will have to simulate a power outage, shutdown and let it finish.   (By the way, this is the only way, you can be certain that it is actually going to work properly when the REAL thing happens!) 

I get a notification immediately of the power loss, then another when the power is restored. Will also get a notification if the timer elapses and it sends the server into shutdown

Event: Unraid Server Alert
Subject: UPS Alert
Description: Power failure on UPS URServer. Running on batteries.
Importance: alert

Event: Unraid Server Alert
Subject: UPS Alert
Description: Power has returned on UPS URServer...
Importance: alert

Edited by Michael_P
Text of email added

You do realize that this UPS does not appear to be made by one of the manufacturers that is supported by the apcupsd group.  While there are a number of manufacturers who have made their product 'compatible' with the APC products, there are no guarantees that apcupsd will work with everything.  

I will ask you again--- DID YOU ACTUALLY PULL THE PLUG AND VERIFY THAT THE COMBINATION OF THIS UPS AND apcupsd WILL ACTUALLY SHUT YOUR SERVER DOWN??? 

Edited by Frank1940
  • 4 years later...