[GUIDE] archlinux VM with EFI

twiikker

29 minutes ago, Sheepster said:

Noob here.

I don't know how to "Connect to VM", I can only click VNC Remote but that doesn't connect. What am I missing?

Unraid 6.8.3, archlinux-2020.11.01-x86_64.iso

VNC remote is exactly what i mean and it should connect with default setting and only those changes which i have mentioned in guide. Haven't tried with latest version and do you have virtualizion enabled in bios and your computer supports it?

13 hours ago, Sheepster said:

I have a functioning Macinabox Catalina VM running so I assume it should work with Arch

Well. I just tried with latest arch image and only problem with my guide was that i didnt tell to select install iso.

It booted to shell first and then after selecting iso it booted to install media without problem.

So what exactly happens after you have made new VM and connected to it? Its just black screen or what?

28 minutes ago, Sheepster said:

Jesus I feel so stupid now! If you look at another post I made when setting up the Catalina VM you can see that I struggled there as well. I forgot my chrome addons mess with VNC. Using Edge, for example, works.

Sorry for wasting your time

Happens to everyone :) you can also use some other vnc client like tightvnc so you can keep browser addons intact.

7 minutes ago, Sheepster said:

I get ens1: interface not found. Pretty sure I didn't mess up on previous commands, any ideas?

ip link                                                      #to find ethernet port

dhcpcd ens1                                           #set dhcp up

ping google.com                                      #test connection

use ip link to find out what is your interface name

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...