Power Cut to unRaid - corrupted array

Hi,
I'm hoping to get some help on a corrupted(?) drive array...

My server setup is as follows:
- 4TB Parity Disk
- 8 Disk array (ranging from 4TB to 1TB, total of 19TB)
- 120GB SSD cache drive
- 250GB SSD unassigned array

The cause of the problem:
While I was at work, my kids unintentionally turned off power to my unRaid Server (I know :)). They turned the power back on but things were not good...

The problem:
The drive array came back online, but one of the disks (Disk 7) was showing as unmountable (I think that was the term). After a few reboots, Disk 7 was shown up in the array with an Orange triangle symbol and the description "Contents Emulated". I tried a parity check but once it reached about 20% I got ALOT or errors. When I say alot, I mean > 15,000,000. But they are coming from 'Disk 8' which is listed with a green light. Needless to say I canceled the parity check.
I thought maybe Disk 7 was damaged during the power interruption, so I swapped in a new drive I'd bought, stopped the array, loaded the new drive into the Disk 7 position, started the array, formatted the new disk and a parity check began automatically. Unfortunately, the same thing happened... after about 4% of the parity check, the errors started coming thick and fast (>1,000,000 when I stopped it) - again from Disk 8 (listed with a green light).

I have attached a screenshot or my array Main page.

Disk 7 is still listed in the array as "Contents Emulated" with a red cross next to it, and all the other disks have green lights next to them. All the dockers seem to load ok, but I'm a little unsure as to whether all my data (movies, tvshows, music, etc) in intact. My array is obviously listed as "Unprotected" due to the missing drive.

Is my array hosed? Can anyone offer advice on how/if I can get a new drive into the Disk 7 slot? Can I swap out Disk 8 and rebuild the array (i.e. with 2 new disks in)? Do I need to just start from scratch again? What diagnositics can I provide?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Rich

Array.jpg

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post.

You really should have asked before attempting anything, since everything you did was wrong. Parity check won't really do anything but a read check when you have a disabled, emulated disk.

Is that the latest screenshot? From what you said here

2 hours ago, rich110 said:

formatted the new disk and a parity check began automatically.

probably not.

Is my array hosed?

Most likely, it was not doing a parity check after you replaced and formatted, it was doing a rebuild onto the replacement disk. But since you formatted it, it is going to rebuild a formatted disk.

Your only hope is if the original disk is still good. Maybe it will be possible to recover the data from it.

We will wait for the diagnostics and probably some additional questions and answers before making any recommendations.

26 minutes ago, trurl said:

everything you did was wrong

Yep... i can't disagree with you here,  especially after having read some of the other parts here in the forum (too late of course). 

Attached is my diagnostic output. I will check the original disk 7 stone tomorrow (is late here) and see if the contents are retrievable. 

Cheers 

Rich

tower-diagnostics-20190711-1329.zip

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

They were on a Marvell controller, might want to get rid of that

Yeah... I think this might be the root of my issue. Can you recommend a good 6 port PCIe SATA expansion card?

9 hours ago, trurl said:

Disks 7 and 8 have dropped offline

Further to my previous comment, I cannot get Disk 7 back online. I think the Marvell controller may have borked in the power-outage. I have mounted the original Disk 7 as an unassigned device but there is no data on it.  I've attached the diagnostic.

I have backups of most of the data so that's not too much of a big deal - I probably only lost some TV Shows and movies from the last month or so (no biggy).

But, in terms of rebuilding the unRaid server, should I just start from scratch, or is there a relatively simply way I can I remove Disks 7 and 8 from the array and rebuild parity/array integrity with the data that is lest left on the array, then add them back as clean disks?

Thanks for the help guys.

Rich

tower-diagnostics-20190711-2146.zip

Edited by rich110
Typo
1 hour ago, rich110 said:

Yeah... I think this might be the root of my issue. Can you recommend a good 6 port PCIe SATA expansion card?

See Here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/69018-sata-controller-replacement-question-and-advice/?tab=comments#comment-630097

While these are eight port units, the LIS  LSI ones (beware, there are Chinese counterfeits) were used in the big server farms.  Make sure that they are in the IT Mode or you may have to flash or (in some cases, crossflash) them.  You may want to check on E-bay... 

Edited by Frank1940
Mistype LSI

is there a relatively simply way I can I remove Disks 7 and 8 from the array and rebuild parity/array integrity with the data that is lest left on the array

New Config

Probably best to take care of controller issue before attempting anything.

50 minutes ago, trurl said:

New Config

Probably best to take care of controller issue before attempting anything. 

Agreed. I've ordered a Dell H310 to replace the Marvell controller. I intend to crossflash with LSI 9211-8i firmware and then swap out.