Best way to start coming from Ubuntu Server

RJ59

I have read how to setup an UNRAID system and have bought 2 10TB drives to start with, one of them is going to be the parity disc.

I have an Ubuntu 16.04 server with 4 existing Ext4 drives and I am looking for the best way to upgrade these drives to the UNRAID Array.

To be clear: I am going to use the same machine, insert the 2 10TB drives and then I want to add the existing drives, while keeping my data. I can copy the data of the existing drives, one at a time, to the free 10 TB drive, after which I can add the drive to the array. Is this possible?

Second question: the machine has 4GB RAM. Shall I replace it? I am planning to run 1 or 2 VMs, not more.

set up new array with 10TB parity + 10TB data drives

attach EXT4 disks with unassigned devices plugin as trurl has stated

copy data from EXT4 disks to UnRAID 10 TB drive

you can then choose to add EXT4 disks to array, which will format them and the data will be destroyed (and potentially your only backup). 

Thank you for your comment.

While my server is really old and I will need some more memory as well, I am looking for some new hardware. Any suggestions for a new Mainboard (I'm thinking AM4, because I have a Ryzen 3 1300X lying around) that is equipped with 6 or 8 6 GB-SATA connections, low on energy and useful for NAS use?