Mover command moving files from the array into the cache drive.

HI,

recently i got my hands on a new LSI SAS9211-8i card flashed with IT mode. i decided to use it as a HBA card to make more room to able to install more drives. the first thing i decided to do was to use a faulty old 2TB WD Green HDD to test around and see how the caching works before investing in a 240gb SSD as a cache drive. after some tinkering around i got it to work and set my movies share to be cached. 

Now the issue here is that when i went into the scheduler to set up an hourly scheduler for the mover to flush data from the cached folder into the array what had started to happen was that the mover began to flush data from the array into the cache drive. the worst part is that the cache drive was decommissioned a year ago due to faulty smart data. it had about 2500 errors and now my data is being copied into it. 

a lot of it is mission critical data that can be recreated when lost. 

51 minutes ago, puri.danish284 said:

HI,

recently i got my hands on a new LSI SAS9211-8i card flashed with IT mode. i decided to use it as a HBA card to make more room to able to install more drives. the first thing i decided to do was to use a faulty old 2TB WD Green HDD to test around and see how the caching works before investing in a 240gb SSD as a cache drive. after some tinkering around i got it to work and set my movies share to be cached. 

Now the issue here is that when i went into the scheduler to set up an hourly scheduler for the mover to flush data from the cached folder into the array what had started to happen was that the mover began to flush data from the array into the cache drive. the worst part is that the cache drive was decommissioned a year ago due to faulty smart data. it had about 2500 errors and now my data is being copied into it. 

a lot of it is mission critical data that can be recreated when lost. 

Unraid will only attempt to move data from array to cache if two conditions are both met:

• There is a cache drive allocated in Unraid.
  • A share is set to Use Cache=Prefer.   This tells Unraid that you want the data for this share on the cache if there is room for it.

Making sure that at least one of these is false stops data being moved from array to cache.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, puri.danish284 said:

wow this explains everything. but now i wanna know how do i move back all my data into the drives? 

If you set a share to Use Cache=Yes and run mover that will give the result you want.   That setting means create new files initially on the cache but later when mover runs transfer them to the array.  You can turn on the help in the GUI to see how the options for the Use Cache setting on a share affects the placement of new files and what action (if anything) mover later takes.

• Upvote 1