Formatting partition of NVMe drive

Hi!

My Unraid version is 6.6.6

I've just installed Samsung NVMe ssd to my tower. I've followed SIO's tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrWOEYldTdk&t=553s&ab_channel=SpaceinvaderOne

Windows10 VM is working absolutely fine from NVMe drive. 

Problem: How can I format the part3 empty partition to XFS. Just like SIO does on video (time 9:05)? 

I can't find where to format only the drive's part3. Windows is located on part1 and 2.

Unassigned devices destructive mode is set to enabled.

Thanks in advance!

106661978_Screenshot2019-07-11at16_45_57.thumb.png.85cb9aeb587a22b11f68f9f91075059f.png.

On 7/11/2019 at 6:12 PM, itimpi said:

There is no GUI support for this as far as I know.   It should be easy enough to do it from the command line.   I am reasonably certain the required command will be:

mkfs.xfs nvme0n1p3

although you might want confirmation from someone else to be safe.

When drive is mounted or not mounted I got error like this on SSH connection, so it doesn't work. 

root@Unraid:/mnt# mkfs.xfs nvme0n1p3

Error accessing specified device nvme0n1p3: No such file or directory

Usage: mkfs.xfs

/* blocksize */ [-b size=num]

/* metadata */ [-m crc=0|1,finobt=0|1,uuid=xxx,rmapbt=0|1,reflink=0|1]

/* data subvol */ [-d agcount=n,agsize=n,file,name=xxx,size=num,

(sunit=value,swidth=value|su=num,sw=num|noalign),

sectsize=num

/* force overwrite */ [-f]

/* inode size */ [-i log=n|perblock=n|size=num,maxpct=n,attr=0|1|2,

projid32bit=0|1,sparse=0|1]

/* no discard */ [-K]

/* log subvol */ [-l agnum=n,internal,size=num,logdev=xxx,version=n

sunit=value|su=num,sectsize=num,lazy-count=0|1]

/* label */ [-L label (maximum 12 characters)]

/* naming */ [-n size=num,version=2|ci,ftype=0|1]

/* no-op info only */ [-N]

/* prototype file */ [-p fname]

/* quiet */ [-q]

/* realtime subvol */ [-r extsize=num,size=num,rtdev=xxx]

/* sectorsize */ [-s size=num]

/* version */ [-V]

devicename

<devicename> is required unless -d name=xxx is given.

<num> is xxx (bytes), xxxs (sectors), xxxb (fs blocks), xxxk (xxx KiB),

xxxm (xxx MiB), xxxg (xxx GiB), xxxt (xxx TiB) or xxxp (xxx PiB).

<value> is xxx (512 byte blocks).

When NVMe drive is mounted i see on mc two partitions of drive on mnt/disks/ , but third one is not shown. On SIO's video the gui support is there. Why to took it out...?

• 3 months later...

Is it a vdisk? You can increase the size of a vdisk simply by stopping the VM and increasing the allocation to the vdisk in the template editor. You'll need to use the Storage Manager in Windows to make use of the newly available space.

Or are you talking about adjusting the boundaries of the three partitions in the original post? That will need a partition editor and it's a dangerous process as it's very easy to lose data or make a bootable partition unbootable. The safest approach is to backup the contents of all active partitions, repartition from scratch and then restore the contents. Even that approach isn't foolproof.

12 hours ago, John_M said:

Is it a vdisk? You can increase the size of a vdisk simply by stopping the VM and increasing the allocation to the vdisk in the template editor. You'll need to use the Storage Manager in Windows to make use of the newly available space.

Or are you talking about adjusting the boundaries of the three partitions in the original post? That will need a partition editor and it's a dangerous process as it's very easy to lose data or make a bootable partition unbootable. The safest approach is to backup the contents of all active partitions, repartition from scratch and then restore the contents. Even that approach isn't foolproof.

I understood it is not vdisk. It uses clover to boot from nvme, but isn't booting from nvme now supported by Unraid?

So when I boot that wm, nvme drive dissapears from unassigned device list. I think it's like passed throuhg to vm.

So I will start by copying my wm image to array and start tinkering about nvme...