Unraid stuck at starting samba

Hi!

I’m running latest nvidia-version unraid (trial) on my z370  add to it has been running well for a few days.

Today I restarted it but it got stuck at starting samba and isn’t up yet an hour later.

see attached photo of the console.

Anyone know what could cause this?

050BCAD1-AFB9-42A6-8CE4-36884711F94D.jpeg

Actually, scratch that, it was up after an unknown time, I hadn't enabled autostart on some dockers witch I was queering, so I thought It was still in the booting sequence.

I waited about 5 min before leaving it and it seemed like it was stuck. Now when I'm back, I can see that it has been running.

Any reboot atm. is very snappy and works fine.

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, Gsusking2 said:

I have run into the same problem. I can boot in safe mode. What should I look into.  I am an extreme noob just tinkering so there are no dockers. VMs etc.  No data to worry about. 

You didn't actually mention whether or not you still had the problem after booting in SAFE mode.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

15 minutes ago, trurl said:

Have you actually tried to start the array?

Ok let me start from the top.

When trying to launch Unraid in GUI mode it hangs in the same place that the OP is discussing.

When i launch in GUI safe mode there is no hang and i am brought to the GUI, i am able to start the Array without a problem.

As mentioned before, i dont have any dockers, or VMs, i was trying to set up an UBUNTU vm and it caused a crash.  I then Rebooted, and it began to hang on SAMBA startup when launching in GUI mode.

1 hour ago, Gsusking2 said:

Ok let me start from the top.

When trying to launch Unraid in GUI mode it hangs in the same place that the OP is discussing.

When i launch in GUI safe mode there is no hang and i am brought to the GUI, i am able to start the Array without a problem.

As mentioned before, i dont have any dockers, or VMs, i was trying to set up an UBUNTU vm and it caused a crash.  I then Rebooted, and it began to hang on SAMBA startup when launching in GUI mode.

Are those diagnostics from after all that?

• 7 months later...

Not trying to gravedig, but I had the same issue. 

I have a similar setup with AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU bound to a Docker Plex.

I believe what happened to me was that I had the GPU connected to a monitor to observe POST, and when UNRAID at some point when the SAMBA portion came up, the Plex Docker was spun up as well and grabbed control of the GPU, suppressing any further output to my monitor.  I believe the behavior would be the same if a VM had control of the GPU instead of the docker.

So when it looked like UNRAID had froze, it actually completed startup and was successfully up and running, only not output anything to the monitor because UNRAID didn't have the GPU anymore.

If  you have a similar configuration, before you assume that UNRAID had failed, double check your web interface and see if it's up and running.  :)

Edited by Klashe
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After dealing with this issue for I can't remember how long, I finally got it sorted out.  Problem was indeed due to a bad plugin.  I booted in Safe Mode,  added ".bak" to all installed plugins to rename them, and then rebooted.  System rebooted without a problem and I readded my "neccessary" plugins one at a time.  My problem was caused by an old version of "Nut" that I failed to uninstall.  Installed the now recommended version and all is well!  I LOVE Unraid!

Edited by cdrsteve
Typo