Starting from scatch - newbie

Dear Unraid Forum

Totally new to this whole forum thing so please bear with me

I have been given a Dell PowerEdge T420 with one Xeon processor which I would like to use as a unraid server. I have a look at all the options and found unraid is the way to go.

Previously has a synology DS1512+ in raid 5 where 2 disk crashed and I lost all my data, so it’s time to try something new.

I plan to eventually fill all the drive bays starting with three Seagate 12TB drives and an SSD for cache support

I will want this server to do everything File sharing, media sever, Backups, transcoding and PVR. You name it,  I will want this server to do everything.   

Any thoughts help suggestions I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

MG

• 4 weeks later...

Ok and what is your question now? Or how can we help you?

I think that your T420 is powerful enough to do your needs.

What and how much rum do you want to use? Should be ECC ram..

If you use 12TB Data drives you need at least one 12TB Parity drive.

So far.

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2019 at 10:10 AM, Toobie said:

Ok and what is your question now? Or how can we help you?

I think that your T420 is powerful enough to do your needs.

What and how much rum do you want to use? Should be ECC ram..

If you use 12TB Data drives you need at least one 12TB Parity drive.

So far.

Hi Toobie 

Really appreciate you responding to my first ever  post on the forum and sorry it’s taken so long to get back to you, I done in my shoulder and ended up in hospital for a while.

Anyway, I hope the single CPU will be powerful enough to handle everything or do you think I should install 2x Intel Xeon E5-2450 4-Core 2.10GHz Processors..?

To start with I plan to use a 14TB HDD as my Parity disk and 2x 12TB HDD to hold my data.

With regards to the cache, I would like to use an Intel SSD DC P3605 NVMe 1.6TB MLC PCIe and 2x 16GB for my ram. Not to sure if it is ECC though.

All in all I think this should be a good server?

Many thanks 

Michael

• 3 years later...

Finally got round to getting Dell Power edge T420 server up and running with Unraid. Thoroughly excited to find out what I can really do with the server or what I shouldn’t really do. I am totally new to this so would appreciate some pointers where to start.

Many thanks  

Emgee