Unraid server with Ryzen 1700?

Hey everyone! I was looking back at my posts and it looks like I first built my unraid server 8 years ago! Didn't realize it has been that long. 

I can't remember the specs of it but it is super low end and i think maybe like 1 or 2gb of ram. 

I recently upgraded my main rig to a ryzen 3900x and 32gb of trident z royal ram and was going to sell my ryzen 1700 and 16gb of tridentz rgb ram and asus crosshair vi hero motherboard, but then I thought maybe I could just use it for my unraid server? 

I would like to be able to backup RAW files to it and potentially if I could edit off it in lightroom or photoshop as well that would be great. Right now I tried it and it was way too slow. Idk if it was the network, server or harddrive issue though?

Would doing this be way overkill or?

Edited by jakebake

The CPU is quite capable, you could even setup a few VMs and a bunch of dockers with this processor and RAM. What exact transfer rates did you get when transferring files? With modern HDDs you should get something in the range of 50-110MB/s. And as long as you're connected via ethernet the network shouldn't be an issue. If you're really just want your server as a NAS the CPU is probably overkill, on the other hand I don't think it makes sense to buy a lower end CPU if you already got this one.

(Also note a cache drive is essential when talking about dockers and VMs, because in my experience they tend to generate quite high IO on the array. But as always it depends on what you need it for.)

Edited by Fenix

I've run an 1800x as one with 16GB ram.  It's essentially the same thing and it works a treat. You've just got to set typical current idle in the bios and turn of the pstates.  Interestingly when I upgraded to thread ripper I didn't have to do that.  So it's been a while and I many have gotten the terminology wrong (tired right now), but you get the idea.  There are plenty of posts about it.

Those two things make the system stable, which it is not without it.  One day, hopefully will be fixed in a kernel upgrade.

So honestly the answer is that yes, it's not only a good system, it's a great system and well worth it.  Go for it! :D

13 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

I've run an 1800x as one with 16GB ram.  It's essentially the same thing and it works a treat. You've just got to set typical current idle in the bios and turn of the pstates.  Interestingly when I upgraded to thread ripper I didn't have to do that.  So it's been a while and I many have gotten the terminology wrong (tired right now), but you get the idea.  There are plenty of posts about it.

Those two things make the system stable, which it is not without it.  One day, hopefully will be fixed in a kernel upgrade.

So honestly the answer is that yes, it's not only a good system, it's a great system and well worth it.  Go for it! :D

Can you explain this a little?  I'm assuming pstates=power states, I'm not sure what you mean by current idle though.  Not trying to hijack the thread, but I've recently picked up a 3700X for my unraid machine and I'm starting to have issues but I'm not sure what having these two settings at defaults causes.

This is all over the place, including in the Unraid forums and spaceinvaderone videos.  I think it's some enhancement that is present in today's power supplies that activates a power saving mode in them.  So you just turn it off.  It's in the AMD bios settings.

I also found that putting my ram back to stock speed helped a specific issue I was having.  BTW it was C states not P states.

Thanks guys! My server currently has an ssd for cache and then regular hdds for storage... i'll have to look at which exact ones. If I was to have my lightroom catalog on the server and then wanted to edit off it would performance be based on the cpu, etc of the unraid server or only on network speed?

I assume your lightroom application is not hosted on the unraid server. So yes network speed mostly then disk o would say. I run my catalog locally and just store the files on the server. Though over a gigabit connection the performance is noticeably slower even like this for larger catalogs. Still, if you’re not a heavy user of lightroom you won’t notice much.