Issues with GPU passthrough

Hey guys,

I've been browsing the forums and various youtube and online tutorials but still cannot get my GTX 550Ti to passthrough to my VM.

I can boot the machine ok with that card passed through, it shows up as functional and good both in GPU-z & in device manager (no error 43, no nothing, just says all is good). The issue is that after about 30s or so the machine fully locks down & my remote session is terminated. The 4 cores assigned are then pinned to 100% for the indefinite future. During this "crash" I get no syslog error, no VM error in the logs, nothing.

I really have no idea how to sort this since I don't seem to be getting any error messages I can google.

Other things to note :

• I'm using a bios I dumped from the card with my main PC (older card so don't need to modify header).
  • The card is working ok on my main PC.
  • I can pass through a 1060 no problem, with no crashes & no issue, with identical XML (except card & bios location ofc). Only the 550Ti is causing me issues.
  • Tried both PCIE slots on my MOBO.
  • Tried turning Hyper-V off (? read it somewhere, changes nothing).
  • I'm connecting using Microsoft RDP. If I use VNC as primary and GTX550ti as secondary I still get the same crash and everything just freezes (no BSOD, nothing).
  • Something that seems important : my default XML config with my GTX550ti only allows me one good boot, once it has inevitable crashed the VM will still launch, but gets stuck on some sort of 100% CPU pin that eventually settles down but allows me no access. The logs are still good during this second weird boot. The only way to get my GTX550ti back into a VM without a full server reboot is setting it a secondary GPU with either iGPU as primary or VNC, but it will also crash after 30s. After a HARD server reboot I can start up (only once) my VM again with 550 as primary GPU.
  • I cannot for the life of me be able to get some sort of HDMI output from the card when the VM is launched, I can remote in no problems, but a monitor plugged into the card's HDMI port shows no input (?)

Running the whole thing on an i7 3770 (non K), both HVM: Enabled and IOMMU: Enabled in unRAID GUI.

Both diagnostics and XML can be found attached to this post.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20190713-0826.zip xml for windows VM.txt

3 hours ago, bastl said:

@SomeRandomSod Try to setup a VM as seabios and try the GPU passthrough. If I remember correctly the 5xx series cards are not UEFI compatible.

Thanks for the advice ! I did as you requested and it's somewhat better, I can use the 550ti as primary GPU and it's now outputting to a monitor from that HDMI port so it's progress !

However I can't at all get the 550ti to show up in device manager, it's obviously working (I've got a monitor hooked up to it !) but it's not showing up. Just shows "Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor". I cannot install drivers for it either since the OS does not detect the card so Nvidia just says it cannot continue because it can't find compatible hardware.

Any advice?