New Build - Gaming/Office/Media Server

Hey guys,

I hope you can help me with my decision on where to go. I recently moved to a new flat with my gf and actually planned on using my Dell T20 as a media server with a IBM Serveraid to have more Drives. We were lucky with the new flat and actually got a spare room, which means I can reactivate my sim racing rig again. I still have a quite old PC for that, therefore I am now in the pickle of either getting a new PC solely for gaming and in the same room, have the Server running (Which I find a bit unneccessary) or get a new PC, maybe capable of going with a hybrid via a VM.

Therefore my needs would be the following as Dockers: 

- Emby (Would ideally like to use HW transcoding, but not much needed, only for up to 5 clients max.), With Sonarr, Radarr, Heimdall, Nginx Proxy Server (Only used to serve my dockers via a local custom domain with SSL) and a NZB Downloader, also tvheadend for my TV Server (Using a PCIE TV Card)

As a Virtual Machine I would need the following:

- HassIO

- A Office WIN 10 (very occasional, if I have to work from Home, nothing huge, just a bit Excel and stuff) -> Will never be run at the same time as the Gaming VM

- A Gaming VM (Only used occassionaly in the evenings and on the weekend for racing games, such as rFactor 2, iRacing, AC), sometimes a bit CS:GO, but that should be mainly it

I haven't been building PCs for a long time, therefore I am a bit out of what would be good for a power consumption and at the same time be able to produce good quality gaming experience on the named games. I still have a Silencio 650 Pure as my case, which I would like to use, it can hold ATX or MicroATX mainboards and up to 7 Drives, with potentially even more, since it has 3 525 bays.

Budget wise I am quite open, as I can get at least a few bucks for my old parts. I would say I'd aim for about EUR 1500-2000. But obviously cheaper is always welcome, if it's enough for my needs.

With the latest AMD Ryzen cards, I would be quite intrigued, since they seem to have quite some cores, which I guess would help to divide them over the VMs, also they seem to be quite a bit lwoer power. Then again, there are also these issues with AMD on unraid, from what I have read, so I think that would be the first question, would you say I should go Intel or AMD? Which other parts would you recommend for my build, like what RAM should it at least have, how many SSDs, and can you recommend specific parts?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Best, Lukas

Edited by lukeasoiler

So this would be the build I have in mind:

Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2
CPU: Intel i9-9900k

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4

Mainboard: Asus Prime Z390-A

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x 8192MB) DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-18-18-38 [Probably adding this again, to get to 32 GB)

SSD: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 512GB (M.2) for the VMS

PSU: 650 Watt be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11

GPU: ASUS GeForce® RTX 2080 ROG Strix Gaming OC 8GB

Storage would be my 5x4TB (1 Parity) plus 2x120GB SSD for the Cache

Would this work? How is the passthrough with this? I imagine I could use the iGPU for Emby then and just use the GPU for my gaming VM.

Best,

Lukas