Disk 12 failed

Thanks for both of your replies.

Is it possible to disable rather than uninstall the plugins?

Just to make sure, you are referring to the mobo bios (not the controller FW), right? I can do so. The actual update should be easy once I have a screen attached?

Controller heat seems to be the issue. It didn't work stable for many many years and I tried about everything you can imagine. The unlock was to move the controller card and keep one slot free between the controller and the GPU. It is replicable and it keeps failing when I put a card again in the now empty slot or move the card back next to the GPU. Also, it worked better if I turned off the server for a while and let the controller cool down before a parity rebuild.

Just now, WizADSL said:

No, but that is one of the things he'd like to attempt if he connects it to a monitor in order to do the BIOS upgrade.  I would strongly discourage overclocking ANY server let alone one where heat may already be an issue WITHOUT overclocking.

That's right. No OC yet. Was just playing with the though of doing so if I anyways move the server to update the bios.

I used to be able to connect my server to an iMac screen via DVI. No idea why this stopped working though (maybe different mobo/GPU or maybe Unraud update), so I now need to move the server to a different room as this no longer works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 10:20 PM, johnnie.black said:

It would use the HBA driver instead of the RAID driver, if nothing else it's the most tested and used, also possibly a little better performance.

I finally switched the controller card to another one that I still have. Any thoughts based on attached diagnostic whether this is now a better driver / FW for my controller card to what I had before?

tower-diagnostics-20190731-1043.zip

Is this better and recommended for Unraid? Is it IT or IR? Better than my other controller, which was megaraid?

One weird thing though is that I can start with this "old" controller, but only if not attaching any of the harddisks. If I attach the harddisks, Unraid does not boot up. I am running Unraid headless, so have no idea what the error message is.

1 hour ago, steve1977 said:

Is this better and recommended for Unraid? Is it IT or IR? Better than my other controller, which was megaraid?

One weird thing though is that I can start with this "old" controller, but only if not attaching any of the harddisks. If I attach the harddisks, Unraid does not boot up. I am running Unraid headless, so have no idea what the error message is.

Sure it is recommand for Unraid, but firrmware still bit old

Jul 31 18:42:31 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2008: FWVersion(19.00.00.00), ChipRevision(0x03), BiosVersion(07.37.00.00)

Suggest you try first to see improvement or not. If you have time, you should try flash a megaraid adapter to IT adapter.

Edited by Benson

Is the "old" FW an issue? I remember I tried to do the update before and it was a HUGE pain in the neck. I tried days and ended up getting error messages. From my memory, it was only possible when booting with some special USB bootdrive and then still had issues with my setup. Is there an easier way to do so directly from Unraid?

Also, any idea why Unraid doesn't boot if I connect the harddisks to this "old" controller?

"New" contrller (megaraid) with harddisks - boots up

"Old" controller (IT) with harddisks - does not boot

"Old" controllre (IT) without harddisks - boots up

Issue is replicable. Same slot is used.

56 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

"New" contrller (megaraid) with harddisks - boots up

"Old" controller (IT) with harddisks - does not boot

"Old" controllre (IT) without harddisks - boots up

If mainboard BIOS boot pointing to correct device ( Unraid USB ), this should't happen, pls check that.

Or you may try setting boot disable on HBA by access controller's firmware menu.

What actual means of "does not boot" ? best have some screen shoot.

Example

9207-8e_2.png

Edited by Benson