Curious USB (bond0 bad USB indicator) [Not a Support Thread]

fl0at

This isn't a support thread, as I've solved the problem, but I thought maybe someone might have a comment on a curious scenario.

I have a SanDisk Fit 16 gb drive that I was using to spin up a new unRaid box, but every time I booted it I got the bond0 - Module not found error (from the below thread)

So the OS was loaded in to memory, but then the USB couldn't be mounted back, so it was basically a blank OS with no configs, and wouldn't pick up an IP or anything.

I tried three computers, every USB port, all kinds of things.  Three or four versions of unRaid.  With the installer, straight copy.  FAT32 with every different block size.  Everything

Ultimately I decided it was a bad USB and I went with a PNY 16 gb.  I flashed it and booted up fine.  But on a whim (because I want the FIT so it doesn't stick out), I shut the box down and cloned the PNY to the SanDisk, and now everything boots up fine on the SanDisk.  I got trial key for it, updated settings.  Shut down.  Brought it back up.  No problems.

Why in the world?  Why would the flash to the USB fail, but the clone from one that booted work?

Edited by fl0at
31 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Incomplete or improper format. The typical tools used to format USB sticks don't always start from scratch, they assume what's already on the stick is ok, and just format on top. The rufus utility usually can solve it. You just have to use it with the advanced options to apply the format, and don't set the options to install an OS.

https://rufus.ie/

The drive started with a rufus wipe, using non-bootable as selection, FAT32 with 8192 bytes.  Another attempt, I used disk management inside Windows 10 and did non quick format on the drive before one of the installs.

So I don't think it was that.  But I can't know without more testing.