GUI inaccessible

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Apologies for the delayed reply on our parts.  First and foremost, I'm assuming based on mentioning that you are using Lets Encrypt that you are using HTTPS for accessing your webGui.  If you disable that, does access from other PCs work again?  What about going to the page with the certificate and updating DNS?

I'm also curious about the timing of this issue.  Did you just enable the HTTPS when the issue occurred or had that been configured for a while?  Any recent reboots to the server?  Do you have the server set to use a static IP address?

1 hour ago, jonp said:

Hi there,

Apologies for the delayed reply on our parts.  First and foremost, I'm assuming based on mentioning that you are using Lets Encrypt that you are using HTTPS for accessing your webGui.  If you disable that, does access from other PCs work again?  What about going to the page with the certificate and updating DNS?

I'm also curious about the timing of this issue.  Did you just enable the HTTPS when the issue occurred or had that been configured for a while?  Any recent reboots to the server?  Do you have the server set to use a static IP address?

I have tried updating the DNS, and yes I do use HTTPS. The timing was after a reboot for an update, but that might be off because I don't access the GUI very often. I also use a static IP for the server.

I can try disabling HTTPS after I get back from work. Thanks.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:15 AM, jonp said:

Hi there,

So turning off HTTPS fixes the issue, but after turning it back on I have the same issue. SSL/TLS was originally on Auto, turning it off fixes it, and changing to Yes has the same issue. My HTTPS port is just 443.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 5:40 AM, jonp said:

Here's a question:  how are you obtaining the system diagnostics to post here when the webGui is inaccessible.  Also what sort of browser error when you attempt to connect via https?  What happens if you do https://IPADDRESS instead of https://hostname?  Have you tried https://HOSTNAME.local instead for access?

This issue occurs with all browsers I tried. That includes chrome, chromium, firefox, safari and internet explorer. I have tried other addresses and  the only thing that works is the ip address with https off. The error I get on chrome is "This site can’t be reached". Lastly I got the diagnostics from the gui mode of the server, so locally using a monitor connected to the server.

But as of last night I began to have another issue. GUI mode now results in a blank screen. All the boot up command line stuff shows up and the command line still shows up in normal mode but I can not get gui mode to work (even in safe mode.) On an HDMI monitor it just went to sleep, and on a VGA monitor, it gives me a "resolution not supported" error. I changed nothing, and the gpu is fine as it works in all other OSs. I included another copy of the diagnostics. 

Because of this I believe the best course of action is to replace the USB drive. For this I will need another swap to be approved as I already used my key transfer for the year, and a tutorial on how to transfer all my configs over.  

Thank you

tower-diagnostics-20190825-2137.zip

9 minutes ago, shortsyoungster said:

The error I get on chrome is "This site can’t be reached"

This means the DNS server can not resolve the name or your PC hasn't learned the name from the local master browser.

A common practise is to set your server as local master browser, because usually it is always on and able to learn the local devices (including itself).

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

This means the DNS server can not resolve the name or your PC hasn't learned the name from the local master browser.

A common practise is to set your server as local master browser, because usually it is always on and able to learn the local devices (including itself).

Isn't local master for SMB groups? And wouldn't I be having the same issues with or without HTTPS on if that were the case? It also does not explain me not being able to access the GUI mode locally, so I still think my theory of a corrupt usb is correct. 

I can't see anything online about how to force the local master but I'm willing to try. 

Edited by shortsyoungster