SuperMicro SC933T-R760 CSE-933T-R760B 3U 15 Bay Chassis

ccharmatz

What did you guys use to extend the ribbon cable for the power buttons etc?  Does that ribbon fit on the motherboard directly or do we need to use that CBL-0068L cable?

The ribbon cable was just long enough for the X8SIL-F. It is a 16 pin connector meant for Supermicro motherboards. If you plan on using a non-supermicro board you will require the cable mentioned above.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I am using a supermicro board, but it was still about 3 inches short :(  I just recieved my forward breakout cables as well and I am worried they may be to short.  I got the ones on newegg that were .5M.  Fingers crossed for when I get home tonight.  

Edited to add that the Forward Breakout cables are plenty long.

Got my extention cables in today, finished the build. Fired up with no issues on first boot! In the middle of the parity check. The fans are loud, but my drive temps are currently between 24-26C, 14C lower than my last system. One of the main reasons I changed setups. I have only logged into the IPMI to look around, but looks pretty cool. Tomorrow I will straighten up the cables and play with the IPMI a little more.

Now I need a rack, hopefully I can find one with fairly cheep shipping for X-Mas.

Yeah I am using a supermicro board, but it was still about 3 inches short :(  I just recieved my forward breakout cables as well and I am worried they may be to short.  I got the ones on newegg that were .5M.  Fingers crossed for when I get home tonight.  

Did they turn out to be long enough?

Yep they were long enough!

Thanks good to know

Yep they were long enough!

Now I need a rack, hopefully I can find one with fairly cheep shipping for X-Mas.

keep an eye on craigslist.

I use this web page so I get an email anytime there is a post in the computer section with the word rack in it.

http://dostuffright.com/watch-craigslist-for-an-item

Thanks for the tip flips, I haven't used craigs list much. I will lokk into the link a little. Have you gotten any spam from them?

One thing I haven't seen mentioned by folks here using this case with a supermicro c2see motherboard is the issue of the power supply 8 pin cable not reaching the connector (jpw2) on this motherboard.

The case manual mentions an 8 pin power extender part CBL - 0062 to remedy this.

There is a 4 pin cable from the power supply that reaches the 8 pin port on the motherboard and the system powers up and seems ok with only half this connector filled but I thought I ask about it.

Usually those auxiliary power connectors are for powering fan headers and extra PCI stuff.

I'm talking about the 12V 8 pin cpu power connector on the C2SEE motherboard.

The 12V 8 pin cpu power supply cable doesn't reach it.

The question for other users with this motherboard is what solution are they using with this case?

Usually those auxiliary power connectors are for powering fan headers and extra PCI stuff.

I'm talking about the 12V 8 pin cpu power connector on the C2SEE motherboard.

The 12V 8 pin cpu power supply cable doesn't reach it.

The question for other users with this motherboard is what solution are they using with this case?

I have the X8SIL-F and had the same issue. Check the motherboard manual, I know mine states for the 8 pin connector. Since I will be adding cards in the future I wanted to ensure I had enough power going to the board. I got my extender cable for $8. Not worth taking the chance damaging anything over a few bucks.

On a side note the rear fan cables were not long enough for the X8SIL, the fan headers are on the upper portion of the board. It looks as if at least one is on the upper portion of the C2SEE board.

Okay, so I sent back my trayless 3 in 2s because this deal was just too good to pass up, and you guys have done a lot of selling too with your pics and your <3 comments. :P  Now I am trying to plan for all the accessorizing it seems I will need to do to make this work.  I have a X7SPA and will be moving to a X8SIL within the next few months.  What I have so far on my list:

• 1x CBL-0068L for front panel
  • 6x CBL-0088L for fan headers
  • 1x SNK-P0046P heatsink for the i3
  • 4x 92mm PWM fans, model TBD after some testing
  • 2x 80mm PWM fans, model TBD after some testing

What am I missing?  24 pin extender?  8 pin extender?  A rack?  ;)

Okay, so I sent back my trayless 3 in 2s because this deal was just too good to pass up, and you guys have done a lot of selling too with your pics and your <3 comments. :P  Now I am trying to plan for all the accessorizing it seems I will need to do to make this work.  I have a X7SPA and will be moving to a X8SIL within the next few months.  What I have so far on my list:

1. You will not need the CBL-0068L the 16 pin connector will hook straight to the X8SIL-F

2. You will not need a 24pin extender

3. You will need a 8pin power extender something like this NZXT CB-8P 8-Pin Motherboard Power Extension Premium Cable (Black)

4. You will not need the 4 pin fan cables if you are not going to change fans right away. What you will need is at least a 1 to 2 split 3 pin fan cable to hook up the rear fans. Something like this Syba SY-CAB65007 3 Pin Female to 2 x 3 Pin Male Connectors Fan Power Extension Y Cable (7.75 Inches)

The fans that come with it are pretty loud, but they are spinning at 3000-5000 rpm. If the server is in another room with the door shut you can't here it. I would wait on the fan change until you find out what temps your getting after you place it where it is going.

It would be pretty tight with the fans at 4-3/4" and the case depth being 4-7/8". Would not leave too much room for cable running. If you can make a bracket the will leave room for cables the only issue I see is the plastic shroud that directs the air flow directly over the CPU and memory. I would have a CPU fan ready incase the airflow is insufficient to maintain temps without the shroud.

1. You will not need the CBL-0068L the 16 pin connector will hook straight to the X8SIL-F

2. You will not need a 24pin extender

3. You will need a 8pin power extender something like this NZXT CB-8P 8-Pin Motherboard Power Extension Premium Cable (Black)

4. You will not need the 4 pin fan cables if you are not going to change fans right away. What you will need is at least a 1 to 2 split 3 pin fan cable to hook up the rear fans. Something like this Syba SY-CAB65007 3 Pin Female to 2 x 3 Pin Male Connectors Fan Power Extension Y Cable (7.75 Inches)

The fans that come with it are pretty loud, but they are spinning at 3000-5000 rpm. If the server is in another room with the door shut you can't here it. I would wait on the fan change until you find out what temps your getting after you place it where it is going.

Are you able to thermally control the stock fans with the X8SIL-F to get them below 3000 rpms?

just thought I'd ask here, if I swap out my older motherboard with the X8SIL for this new build, I need not worry about the integrity of the data assuming I keep the same disk ordering? 

I quietted the fans down to a very reasonable level just by swapping the 12V fan power to 5V.  I used an old PATA HDD power to 3-pin fan power cable and cut the 12V lead (yellow) and soldered (and heat shrunk) the 5V line in its place powering the fan.  Then ran all my fan splits off that.  I'm only running 4 of the fans right now (2 80mm, 2 92mm) because I'm only running 4 drives.  My drives never get above 30 degrees with this setup.

Not as elegant as having a fan control script running, but a lot cheaper and my mobo doesn't doesn't support it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, now I'm officially happy.

This part sounded good though.

What fans did you go with for replacing with 4 wire.

cc-

2 x Cooler Master BladeMaster 80mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Case Fan R4-BM8S-30PK-R0

4 x Cooler Master BladeMaster 92mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Case Fan R4-BM9S-28PK-R0

I also had to replace all the fan cables (in order to keep the hot-plug capability).

6 x Supermicro CBL-0088L

Also, since I could no longer use the backplane to power the fans, and the C2SEE only has 5 fan ports, I had to get a PWM Y splitter.

Just came across your post and am curious how loud your system is now after the fan upgrades. I am in the process of upgrading my as well with

2 x Cooler Master BladeMaster 80mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Case R4-BM8S-30PK-R0 - 41 CFM, 28dBA - SAME AS YOURS;

4 X Nidec Ultraflo T92E12BMA7-PWM 92mm Case Fan - US $22 each = $88 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706042

The Nidec fans have a highe CFM then the ones you suggested which is why I have went with them. At full speed they are meant to put out 43dBA which is close to the 53dBA of the standard ones however, these are also PWM so hopefully should running a lot slower then full tilt.

Cheers