UK: better than half price Threadrippers ?! (not a bargain - just an unfulfilled misprice )

meep

I have doubts about this myself, but I just ordered a 2950X on Amazon.co.uk for £361 (down from £839)

They also list a 2990WX for a bonkers £720 (down from £1639)

I was tempted by the 32 core chip, but figured the 2950 was all I'd need (I was actually considering a 1950X for a new build, but this is cheaper).

It's a marketplace offering so there's a good bit to go before it arrives in my letterbox, but I paid using a Revolut card with no funds so at least I'll be notified before money is taken, and I can always return if it turns out to be not as stated.

Fingers crossed......

1503844791_Screenshot2019-07-17at18_53_23.thumb.png.772e5559af6814468198a6876dc773a8.png

😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲

Edited by meep
typos
1 hour ago, bastl said:

Wait 6 months and you will get that chip for that price 😁

You are right, of course, but you can't beat the warm fuzzy glow of a bargain!

However, the episode has set me thinking that I'll grab a 1920X and build a system around that, upgrading to one of these more powerful 2xxx series chips in the future when they are better value.

You might wait till the next platform releases, to see which new features they offer which are missing on x399. I guess PCIe 4.0 is one of it, maybe onboard 10gig nics and the amount of PCI lanes are a important info for the future x499/x599 we are missing right now. Also the TDPs of the next Threadripper chips I'am kinda curious. On older boards the VRMs might not be enough to handle high core count next gen TR4s. Better wait for the first boards and tests.

On 7/18/2019 at 11:49 AM, bastl said:

You might wait till the next platform releases, to see which new features they offer which are missing on x399. I guess PCIe 4.0 is one of it, maybe onboard 10gig nics and the amount of PCI lanes are a important info for the future x499/x599 we are missing right now. Also the TDPs of the next Threadripper chips I'am kinda curious. On older boards the VRMs might not be enough to handle high core count next gen TR4s. Better wait for the first boards and tests.

Makes sense. Though I tend to buy somewhat behind the bleeding edge for best value, and as none of those features call out to me today, I've decided to go for an X399 Gen1 build right now, with a view to getting my system up and running on ThreadRipper, and upgrading the CPU to 2950/70/90 in the future when  prices drop.

I've plumbed for a 1920X at not quite half price, but still a relative bargain;

It's on Amazon.co.uk for €408, but can be had on Amazon.de for €294. (it's even cheaper again on Amazon.com at €241, but by the time I'd add in shipping to Europe plus duties and taxes, it would be closer to UK price delivered).

I can put together a decent Motherboard, CPU, Cooler and 32GB RAM bundle for ~€750 which will be a decent upgrade from my FX8320 based system, allow me tinker with Threadripper and expand in future as needed. My current system permits one decent workstation grade VM, a few headless VMs and Dockers. My aim is modest in that I'd like a second workstation available simultaneously, so, for me, this path makes sense.

Thanks for the input!