LSI 9201-16i LSI00244 quick question (I hope...lol)

1---  Get a screen print or screen capture of the Drive assignments.  You should not need this but having it handy will assure that you don't. 

2--   Make a copy of the flash drive.   Main   >>>  Boot Device   and click on 'Flash' under the 'DEVICE' column.  Under  'Flash Device Settings' section/tab, click on the "FLASH BACKUP" button.

3--  Go to   Settings   >>>   Disk Settings and set 'Enable auto start:' to "No".  The reason for doing is strictly a precaution.  It allows you to verify that all the disks are correctly assigned before you start the array.  It should only take a few minutes once you have removed the old controller and installed the new one. You might have to replace the SATA data cables if your Marvel controller did not use the SFF-8087 connector on the card end.   

4--  You start the server and check on the main tab to see that all of your drives are correctly assigned.  If they are start the array and you will be back running.   Any problems or questions, post back...

• Like 1

Another question (always seems to be one). 

I am getting ready to replace the card and rebuild the system (I have the record of where all the drives go (also they are labeled properly to go into the cages in the same place) 

The question:

Should I get a second card since I am already running 23 drives and get rid of the marvel controllers completely and do these LSI cards run well together?

Thanks,

Ice

okay it seems it was the board again, so I ordered a new one. When it comes in I am going to go right to the new LSI cards.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:51 PM, Frank1940 said:

1---  Get a screen print or screen capture of the Drive assignments.  You should not need this but having it handy will assure that you don't. 

2--   Make a copy of the flash drive.   Main   >>>  Boot Device   and click on 'Flash' under the 'DEVICE' column.  Under  'Flash Device Settings' section/tab, click on the "FLASH BACKUP" button.

3--  Go to   Settings   >>>   Disk Settings and set 'Enable auto start:' to "No".  The reason for doing is strictly a precaution.  It allows you to verify that all the disks are correctly assigned before you start the array.  It should only take a few minutes once you have removed the old controller and installed the new one. You might have to replace the SATA data cables if your Marvel controller did not use the SFF-8087 connector on the card end.   

4--  You start the server and check on the main tab to see that all of your drives are correctly assigned.  If they are start the array and you will be back running.   Any problems or questions, post back...

I had everything label completely and all serials (and HDD info) recorded. I also have tags on everything, so I am hoping all is good when i power back up to confirm array.

Your list answers:

1. I have one already as well as a spreadsheet showing where and what drive

2. Always have a backup and will make a copy anyway before I boot

3. N/A in this situation

4. Will do  :)

I am taking the opportunity to transfer everything to a 'like new' Lian Li P80N case that will easily house all 4 drive cages and allow for direct mount of the 3 excess drives that are here, I am just waiting for the few upgrades to the case that I ordered. 

Thanks for all the help, Frank1940

• 2 weeks later...

Up and running, all seems well with my unraid install and array :)

However, I seem to have lost a ram slot on my mobo, or lets put it this way, it won't boot (endless fast beeps) with anything but one stick of memory in the board. I am thinking it may just be the board as it was a used replacement and since I have tried three different sets of memory, it also will not let me load a stick into any other slots. :(

Any ideas?

btw, the lsi cards are amazing  :)

Did you check on the manufacturer's website to  see if they recommend some particular RAM modules that are certified to work with this MB?  Also Google the MB and query whether this MB is 'picky' about RAM.  A short list of recommended RAM could be a clue that this is an issue.

Read the MB manual and make sure that you are using inserting the RAM modules into the right slots.