rsync for dummies

Let me flip the question back: why do you need rsync?

There are simpler apps out there to keep 2 folders in sync without needing endless loops (i.e. only run upon changes) e.g. Syncthing, Resilio Sync, etc.

Sounds to me like you picked a tool beyond your skill level to solve a problem it may not be the the most suitable tool for.

2 hours ago, nicksphone said:

Is it possible to get an rsync plugin or docker that makes it simple for us newbs so its source, destination lines and which copy options you want with a check box or a yes or no field. and an option for it to loop after its done?

If you want/need to use rsync and you need it to run "continually" you can use the User Scripts plugin to schedule your rsync task every minute with a * * * * * custom cron setting.

I back up all my unRAID shares from one server to another unattended via an rsync script.   I only do it once a week, but you can set the frequency to anything cron allows and it can be as granular as every minute.

18 hours ago, testdasi said:

Let me flip the question back: why do you need rsync?

There are simpler apps out there to keep 2 folders in sync without needing endless loops (i.e. only run upon changes) e.g. Syncthing, Resilio Sync, etc.

Sounds to me like you picked a tool beyond your skill level to solve a problem it may not be the the most suitable tool for.

syncthing and resilo sync i end up with duplicated files like File1 and file1 is there a setting im missing?

1 hour ago, testdasi said:

That's not duplicated file. Linux is a case-sensitive system, unlike Windows. So File1 and file1 are 2 different files.

which is fine in a perfect world but when a windows user changes the capital letters in a file name linux sees it as a diffrent file on sync and windows has a hissy fit when there are 2 files named the same as it sees 

5 hours ago, nicksphone said:

which is fine in a perfect world but when a windows user changes the capital letters in a file name linux sees it as a diffrent file on sync and windows has a hissy fit when there are 2 files named the same as it sees 

But rsync on Unraid, which is Linux based, will do the same.

23 hours ago, nicksphone said:

But the file on unRaid will be changed from say "test" to be "TEST".  There will not be 2 files on unRaid.  Your backup solutions will see that there is only a single file, but the history / old versions of the files will still exist.  

I use a switch in my rsync backup script called "--delete-before" and it will drop/delete any file or folder in the target location that was either changed or doesn't exist anymore prior to rsync making a new backup from source. So if a file was renamed file1.txt to File1.txt since the last backup, file1.txt on my backup target will be deleted and a new copy of File1.txt will take place.

Edited by cybrnook

Well I use the wonderful recycle bin plug-in for accidental deletes, and to be honest I have been using unraid for around 10 years and have never once accidently deleted anything.

And for corruption I have redundant backup servers that take backups at different times. Again, have yet to run into corruption due to anything like bit rot etc.

Key is I write my own scripts, so I understand what they are doing and create my own assumed and acceptable risk factors trading things like versioned backups for smaller backup footprints.

Edited by cybrnook
  • 3 years later...

@cybrnook

I know this thread is way old, Pre-Pandemic one might say, but I'm now dealing with something similar and your approach seems like something that would be beneficial to me. Can you give me an idea of a script you would use for my situation?

Basically, I'm a photographer; I have three 2TB external drives where I store all of the photos from each photoshoot and event that I photograph. The way I have organized their directory structure is by Year, then by project, then raw files along with folder(s) broken out by the concepts of edited, Full-Res, Low-Res, Watermarked Low-Res, etc. 
On each drive I have a 2022 folder, then inside that folder on one drive might be folders 2022-03-19 and 2022-07-21, then the other drive might have 2022-03-21 and 2022-05-11, and the third drive has several other 2022 project folders.

My goal is for my destination folder on the NAS to have all 2022 folders from each drive copied into a single 2022 destination folder. I have sporadically been moving one to two folders at a time from each drive into the single 2022 destination folder. What I feel is my problem now is, if I use RSYNC to move all sub folders under each external drive's 2022 folder but some of those folders are already on the NAS, how do I do it so it moves only new files and folders into the combined folder and skips over any files that are already on the nas and the latest version?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your willingness to read through this.

1 hour ago, DSPhoto said:

@cybrnook

I know this thread is way old, Pre-Pandemic one might say, but I'm now dealing with something similar and your approach seems like something that would be beneficial to me. Can you give me an idea of a script you would use for my situation?

Basically, I'm a photographer; I have three 2TB external drives where I store all of the photos from each photoshoot and event that I photograph. The way I have organized their directory structure is by Year, then by project, then raw files along with folder(s) broken out by the concepts of edited, Full-Res, Low-Res, Watermarked Low-Res, etc. 
On each drive I have a 2022 folder, then inside that folder on one drive might be folders 2022-03-19 and 2022-07-21, then the other drive might have 2022-03-21 and 2022-05-11, and the third drive has several other 2022 project folders.

My goal is for my destination folder on the NAS to have all 2022 folders from each drive copied into a single 2022 destination folder. I have sporadically been moving one to two folders at a time from each drive into the single 2022 destination folder. What I feel is my problem now is, if I use RSYNC to move all sub folders under each external drive's 2022 folder but some of those folders are already on the NAS, how do I do it so it moves only new files and folders into the combined folder and skips over any files that are already on the nas and the latest version?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your willingness to read through this.

I think "--ignore-existing" would be the switch you want in your rssync command.

https://linux.die.net/man/1/rsync

"--ignore-existing skip updating files that exist on receiver"

• 7 months later...
On 7/18/2019 at 1:02 PM, Hoopster said:

If you want/need to use rsync and you need it to run "continually" you can use the User Scripts plugin to schedule your rsync task every minute with a * * * * * custom cron setting.

I back up all my unRAID shares from one server to another unattended via an rsync script.   I only do it once a week, but you can set the frequency to anything cron allows and it can be as granular as every minute.

Came across this thread and this is eventually exactly what I would want to implement. Going to continue research to understand how to deploy this scheduled task.

Thank you.