Unraid CPU Load Keeps Fluctuating

When the server boots up and the array is not started, the overall cpu load stays at 1%  the cpu load for the 4 cores (8 threads)  I have do not move.  However, once the array is started the overall cpu load fluctuates like crazy where the average cpu load is at 25% (it does spike higher or lower constantly).  I have tried stopping all docker containers and still see the same behavior for cpu load.

Anyone know why the cpu's are so active when nothing is supposed to be happening?  Appreciate any help.

I have these plugins installed.  Other than unBALANCE, I believe the rest are highly necessary for stats and maintenance?

CA Auto Turbo Write Mode
CA Auto Update Applications
CA Backup / Restore Appdata
Community Applications
Dynamix Cache Directories
Dynamix S3 Sleep
Dynamix SSD TRIM
Dynamix System Buttons
Dynamix System Information
Dynamix System Statistics
Dynamix System Temperature
Fix Common Problems
Nerd Tools
Preclear Disks
Tips and Tweaks
Unassigned Devices
unBALANCE
User Scripts

8 hours ago, Squid said:

This.  And where are you checking the cpu usage.  Doing it via the GUI is naturally going to increase the CPU usage and is to be expected.

Yes, I had this issue about a year ago where CPU usage would skyrocket - it was Cache Directories. Right now I only have two plugins installed, System Stats and Open Files

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Squid said:

This.  And where are you checking the cpu usage.  Doing it via the GUI is naturally going to increase the CPU usage and is to be expected.

Originally I was looking at the load from the dashboard tab.

2 hours ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Yes as @Frank1940 says use the htop command from the unraid terminal on the webui.

Aswell you can goto the docker tab then toggle to advanced and see how much cpu etc each container is using.

Thanks.  I looked at the docker tab as you suggested and all the dockers added up use less that 1% when idle.  The htop command had lots of information.  This line keeps coming up at 100% cpu now and then (find /mnt/cache/appdata -noleaf).  Not sure what that is.  I'll try running a test tomorrow morning with all docker containers stopped and seeing what htop shows.

I'm suspecting based on the replies it could be related to the plugins.  The majority of the plugins I have installed are related to tutorials I followed by you SpaceInvader (lol) when I was trying to learn about unraid and get everything up and running.  I never considered the plugins as a source, for some reason I just assumed they sat there and did nothing until you called/use it.  Unlike dockers which are always running.

1 hour ago, Mogo said:

(find /mnt/cache/appdata -noleaf).

Dynamix cache dirs.

The CPU usage does drop on that after time, but to be honest, you're always going to be best off excluding the appdata share in particular and only having your media shares included in it's list.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for the help.  After stopping all the docker containers and then disabling Dynamix cache dirs, the average cpu load dropped to 3% with no cpu spikes pass 4%.  That is way better than the 25% load I had before.

12 hours ago, Squid said:

Dynamix cache dirs.

The CPU usage does drop on that after time, but to be honest, you're always going to be best off excluding the appdata share in particular and only having your media shares included in it's list.

One last question squid.  How do I do that?  Exclude the appdata share?  Thanks.