Is encryption and/or dual parity possible?

Hey!

I'm running unRAID 6.7.2 on pretty old hardware:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 235e @ 2700 MHz

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785T-M

RAM: 12 GB DDR3-1333 ECC

HBA: Dell H310 & onboard SATA

I would like to switch the file system from xfs to xfs encrypted. But I'm not sure if this old CPU can handle the encryption. Will the use of an encrypted file system slow down the read and write speed of the array in a noticeable way? Or is the CPU fast enough to handle the encryption?

Same question for dual parity, as far as I know a dual parity configuration is much more demanding as single parity.

Thank you in advance for a reply.

1 hour ago, Just Me said:

Hey!

I'm running unRAID 6.7.2 on pretty old hardware:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 235e @ 2700 MHz

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785T-M

RAM: 12 GB DDR3-1333 ECC

HBA: Dell H310 & onboard SATA

I would like to switch the file system from xfs to xfs encrypted. But I'm not sure if this old CPU can handle the encryption. Will the use of an encrypted file system slow down the read and write speed of the array in a noticeable way? Or is the CPU fast enough to handle the encryption?

Same question for dual parity, as far as I know a dual parity configuration is much more demanding as single parity.

Thank you in advance for a reply.

According to https://wiki.debianforum.de/Benchmark_für_Festplattenverschlüsselung you should be able to get 80+ MB/s with LUKS encryption even on an old CPU like that. It certainly won't leave room for other CPU-intensive tasks, but for file storage you should be fine.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Dual parity should be OK, depending on the number of data disks

Thank you. The server is designed for 12 disks, so there would be 10 data disks at max. You think that would be OK?

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

since that CPU doesn't support AES instructions.

Is there an AM3 socket CPU that supports AES instructions?

13 minutes ago, drdebian said:

It certainly won't leave room for other CPU-intensive tasks, but for file storage you should be fine.

Thank you. 80+ MB/s seems OK. The server is just used for media and backups, no docker or VMs, mostly vanilla unRAID.

Maybe I will give it a try, what could possibly go wrong 😂

PS: Stupid question: Does ten encrypted data drives need more CPU performance as just one or two?