Upgrade/replace cache via mirror and remove?

Howdy!

So I just went through the process of upgrading from a 320GB spinner to a 2TB SSD.  Not too painful, but took longer than I hoped copying Dockers/appdata, etc. and I was offline with services for a bit of time. I also had to search a bit on redownloading the Docker templates/etc.  No biggie - but not in the wiki!

So I was thinking ... would it be possible to simply mirror the cache drive, let the files sync, and then remove the old one?  Essentially like a failed drive but with new config or something?

That would allow all services to remain online and it would be seamless. Only issue is how to handle the larger space on the second drive (can you just grow the btrfs?).

Thanks

Kermit

14 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I assume you're pointing to Johnny.Black's post? He says

stop the array
on the main page click on the cache device you want to replace/upgrade and select the new one from the drop down list (any data on the new device will be deleted)
start the array
a btrfs device replace will begin, wait for cache activity to stop, the stop array button will be inhibited during the operation, this can take some time depending on how much data is on the pool and how fast your devices are.
when the cache activity stops or the stop array button is available the replacement is done.

But I don't really see how that maintains data and Dockers. It appears to just replace the drive... Possibly because I don't fully understand the pooling aspect (I mean, I get it, but really I'm looking for RAID 1 functionality).

And that post is 3 yrs old, so why isn't that method in the wiki yet?

Thanks,

Kermit