Middle drive keeps filling up & not using other drives

I know this may be a crazy question, but, I have a drive that keeps filling up (drive 4). I have 12 drives and two drives are almost completely empty and disk 4 keeps going above 70%.

I have used unbalance to move files off and that works, but now, all the files seems to have moved back or it's filling it up again because it's back to 70% full..  I have looked for a setting that has that drive as the main drive. I have also put a larger drive in it (largest I can put with my parity drives).

Do I need to just keep moving files off or let it fill completely up and see what happens? If it gets to 100% will unraid just stop working? Just wondering..  

All drives but two are 6tb. I have two 4tb ironwolves. The drive 4 was a 4tb, but I upgraded it to a 6tb.  It filled up the 4tb drive to 3.5tb while two disks down (drive 6) was a 6tb drive with only 1tb data. Drive 3 only had/has 3tb on it. I used unbalance and moved everything from drive 4 before putting the 6tb drive in to replace the 4tb drive. Now I'm up to 4.51tb used. I just used unbalance to get it back down to 4tb. But back up now. 

I went back before posting this and looked at the shared menu and made sure none are set to only use disk 4. All are set to use all disks. 

If I upgrade to 10tb drives (replace both parity and drive 4) do you think it would continue? 

2 hours ago, Melocco said:

All drives but two are 6tb. I have two 4tb ironwolves. The drive 4 was a 4tb, but I upgraded it to a 6tb.  It filled up the 4tb drive to 3.5tb while two disks down (drive 6) was a 6tb drive with only 1tb data. Drive 3 only had/has 3tb on it. I used unbalance and moved everything from drive 4 before putting the 6tb drive in to replace the 4tb drive. Now I'm up to 4.51tb used. I just used unbalance to get it back down to 4tb. But back up now. 

I went back before posting this and looked at the shared menu and made sure none are set to only use disk 4. All are set to use all disks. 

If I upgrade to 10tb drives (replace both parity and drive 4) do you think it would continue? 

What are the settings on the Shares tab for the Allocation Method and Split Level for the shares that you think have files going to the wrong disk?    These are critical pieces of information as they affect how Unraid selects a drive for new files.

If you are talking about the split level or include or exclude. All the shares are as pictured. 

Split Level: Automatically split any directory as required

Include disks: All

Exclude disks: none

I've looked at all the shares..  The main one that seems to be filling up though is this folder: Media.

shared data.PNG

Oh, one more thing that may help..   If I go to integrity, disk 4 is always red.  I rebuild it and with in a few days, it's back to red. Both build and export. I thought the drive may be dying (which is another reason I put a new 6tb drive in to replace it). I just checked again and it's red once more.

16 hours ago, Melocco said:

For argument sake,

Drive 1 & 2 are 4 tb, drives 3 - x are 6 tb

With high water as an allocation method, and split any directory as required,

Drives 3-x will fill up until they all have less than 3tb remaining.   At that point, the highwater is recalculated.

Then, all drives in order (starting with 1)  will fill up until they have 1.5 TB remaining.

Then, all drives will fill up until they have 750 GB remaining and so on.

Ok..  So with highwater, it will fill up until they have 1.5 remaining (last thing), right? 

If that's the case. I should change my warning mark to 80% instead of (I think) 70%, that way I won't be getting the warnings and it turning yellow as a warning. 

I was just trying to figure it out... I didn't know why It was doing what it's doing..   I know I'm still having issues with permissions. I keep getting access denied when I try to open the folders over the network..  Only some folders..  Again mainly in the media share. I can open most folders (inside media share), then some not (inside media share).  I thought it may all be related. Only thing I have let access the media share is Plex. I have to run NewPerms about once every three months (sometimes every other). 

I did add the diagnostics just incase...   

Thanks again for your help...   I'll getcha another beer..  

whs-diagnostics-20190721-1936.zip

Edited by Melocco
to add dio