NOT prompted for password when accessing private SMB shares

I recently setup an Unraid NAS for testing. It was a super easy setup and the GUI is slick. I am however running into some unexpected behavior. I have set up several shares that I can read from and write to without issues. However, I am NOT prompted for password when accessing my SMB shares. The shares in question have security set to private. What am I missing here?

Server: Unraid Version: 6.7.2

Client: Windows 10 build 17763.615

An example of how I have one of the shares setup:

image.thumb.png.72d2f91b10488f36cfc88ecf453083a2.png

Edited by chancedonmillion

Windows won't prompt you again if it already has logged into a network share. And it won't let you login as one user if it has already established a connection as another user, even if it prompts you to login again. That's just the way Windows works, whether connecting to Unraid or some other computer on the network running Windows or whatever.

Go to Windows Control Panel - Credential Manager and delete the Unraid credentials and Windows will make you login again.

Alternatively, you could try to access using the IP instead of the server name, and Windows will consider it different server with different credentials.

Thanks for the quick follow up. To be clear I was never prompted to log in when accessing these shares.

Initially I accessed these shares as follows:

File Explorer > Network > "Refresh Network"

After refreshing the network I could see and access my private shares without ever being prompted for a user or password. 

I get he same behavior when navigating to the shares via IP "\\192.168.1.10\documents" and I have no saved Unraid credentials in Credentials Manager. 

I created the users prior to creating the shares. Just spit balling here but perhaps the SMB service needs to be restarted? 

If you access a public share before accessing another share, then Windows will continue to use the login it established for that public share. This can happen completely without any prompting, since Windows will just use the Windows user and that user or anybody can access a public share. Make sure there is nothing open in Windows to any other shares, and there are no credentials for Unraid in Credential Manager. Then try to access only the private share.

OK, quick update. Previously I was only testing with PCs in the same work group as the Unraid NAS. Furthermore the usernames and passwords of those Windows 10 PCs matched the usernames and passwords defined in Unraid (I know not best practice, but easy for the family). When testing with another device (my Windows 10 work labtop w/ no workgroup defined & non matching user/pass) I AM prompted for a password. Any idea where the logs pertaining to share access are located? Id like to take a look at exactly what happened with the initial access before I place the NAS into prod and they roll over.

Edited by chancedonmillion

Without further research/testing I cant say for sure but it seems like Windows initially will attempt to log into a SMB share using the credentials of the Windows user. In this case my Windows user credentials happened to match my Unraid user credentials so I was never prompted to enter a user or password. 

Thanks for the help trurl!

I'm liking Unraid so far and Ill probably be buying a key.