Nextcloud Update

**** I was being a massive noob. All fixed ****

So, it says there is a new version of Nextcloud (16.0.3) but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the container to update past 16.0.1

I have deleted, reinstalled, pulled manually... 

Anyone else having issues? 

Edited by McMeanF

So.. the docker updates, upgrade the docker itself it doesn't perform the upgrade on Nextcloud.

You can do it through the webui but i find the wheels fall off that sometimes and it becomes a pain.

I prefer doing mine through the CLI its also easier to fix if something goes wrong if your in the CLI.

Open a console on the docker image.

cd /config/www/nextcloud/updater/

root@bd32ce1bcd66:/config/www/nextcloud/updater# sudo -u abc php updater.phar 

This will launch the CLI upgrade tool which will tell you what version you are and you can do the upgrade.

Nextcloud Updater - version: v14.0.2RC2-7-g57268cb

Current version is 15.0.5.

Update to Nextcloud 16.0.3 available. (channel: "stable")
Following file will be downloaded automatically: https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/nextcloud-16.0.3.zip

Steps that will be executed:
[ ] Check for expected files
[ ] Check for write permissions
[ ] Create backup
[ ] Downloading
[ ] Verify integrity
[ ] Extracting
[ ] Enable maintenance mode
[ ] Replace entry points
[ ] Delete old files
[ ] Move new files in place
[ ] Done

Start update? [y/N] y

Info: Pressing Ctrl-C will finish the currently running step and then stops the updater.

[✔] Check for expected files
[✔] Check for write permissions
[✔] Create backup
[✔] Downloading
[✔] Verify integrity
[✔] Extracting
[✔] Enable maintenance mode
[✔] Replace entry points
[✔] Delete old files
[✔] Move new files in place
[✔] Done

Update of code successful.

Should the "occ upgrade" command be executed? [Y/n] Y

sit back, drink a coffee and wait for it to finish. it can take a while before there is any output here.

And then say No here

Keep maintenance mode active? [y/N] N

If you say yes you need to run another command to disable maintenance mode and get Nextcloud back up and running.

This is for if you want to do other things after the upgrade before making Nextcloud live again.

First connect to the webui you will need to do a quick start upgrade button but it just does a DB check and starts.

Edited by Maticks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 8 months later...

I've been having problems running update for 17.0.2 to 18.0.3 through the automatic updater. I trie your steps for the manual updated but I keep getting stuck at the extracting step with the following error:

[ ] Extracting ...PHP Warning:  require(/config/www/nextcloud/updater/../version.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 658
PHP Fatal error:  require(): Failed opening required '/config/www/nextcloud/updater/../version.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php7') in phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 658

Can you help?

• 3 months later...

+1

I am having the exact same problem with the CLI. The GUI in Nextcloud stops on some config.php file is missing. 
Is there a config file not pointing to the right directory or something like that, because it was converted into a docker image? 

This is very inconveniant, because happened at every Nextcloud update I encountered. From version 18 to 19. And now from 19.0.0 to 19.0.1. And I would like to run the latest version for stability and security, but now I have to re-figure out each time how to manually fix this. 
Repulling the image did not fix this. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, I tried to update two nextcloud containers today using the "apply update" button in unraid docker manager. The docker containers deleted hundreds of gigs of data from bind mount hard drives and will no longer start. The persistent container data has been reset to new sample data from the image. This is not the first time this has done this and i have had to restore from backups but each time i loose a small hand full of files. Anyone please tell me why in the h*** this is happening? I have no backups for my instances. so there goes all that work again.

Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 12.54.25.png

Edited by Be-Art
inserting a screen shot of error log