Sign in to follow this  
mihcox

rSync Backup to Synology Servers

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

I currently have moved everything off my old synology server. I am now trying to use it as a backup, but have had several problems.

1. I tried to use syncthing, but is painfully slow over local network

2. Tried rsync, finally got it work, but i have to enter my password

3. I tried to use sshpass, but do not have it on either unraid or synology server

4. How do i create user scripts to back up my files to secondary network storage, on some sort of schedule.

Is there a better way to do this. I just want to make network backups for some/all of my shares as needed and have them backup on a schedule without user intervention?

35 minutes ago, mihcox said:

2. Tried rsync, finally got it work, but i have to enter my password

See this rsync backup thread for info on configuring SSH between servers with no password prompt.

I use a script to backup all my shares once a week to another unRAID server (there are some users doing it to Synology as a backup as well).

With the User Scripts plugin, it is easy to do this on whatever schedule you want via a cron job.  

At 1am every Monday my script powers on the backup server via IMPI, backs up the designated shares to the backup server, emails me the results and powers down the backup server until the next time the script runs.

It's a piece of cake and runs totally unattended with no user intervention needed.

You may struggle a bit to get your head around the unattended SSH part of it, but, once you get it working you never have to think about it again.