Server powered off by itself

Last night my server powered itself off.  When I powered it back on there was no error popup message.  How can I go about figuring what caused this?  My System log seems to only go back to the time is was restarted this morning.  I do have a UPS on the server.

Edited by Gragorg

Look in the logs directory of the boot drive.  I seem to recall that there is a plugin which will write a syslog file to that location on an orderly shutdown. 

I am assuming that it was an orderly shutdown or you would have had a parity check start when you repowered this morning.  Now as to what caused it.  Some possibilities:

1--  The UPS triggered it.  Any chance you had a power outage that might have trigger that?

2-- Someone (or some animal) did a momentary push of the case power button.  (This will trigger the orderly shutdown of any modern OS!)  (There has at least one case where a cat thought it was 'fun' to 'bat' at the light behind the switch.  Small children have also been fascinated by that switch and its light.) 

3-- The server has another hardware problem.  Power supplies and Motherboards are two prime suspects.  

EDIT:

4-- You have a practical joker on the premises who figured out how to gain access to your server...

Edited by Frank1940

I can only assume the shutdown was orderly as it didn't start a parity check.  However the last log in the boot directory of the USB was from May 30 which was likely the previous time the server was powered down properly.  Is there any other place to look at my syslog from yesterday?  I don't beleive it was a power outage as my stove will lose its clock instantly after any power blip.  I assume the  syslog should not be out of date on the usb if it was properly powered down?  Is there a separate log for the UPS.  I assume if the log from last night is not on the USB then it is gone?  Is there a way to save the logs?  I believe troubleshooting mode on Fix Common Problems is gone.

Edited by Gragorg
16 minutes ago, Gragorg said:

I assume the  syslog should not be out of date on the usb if it was properly powered down?  Is there a separate log for the UPS.  I assume if the log from last night is not on the USB then it is gone?  Is there a way to save the logs?  I believe troubleshooting mode on Fix Common Problems is gone.

Correct, Unraid stores syslog in its RAM disk and, thus, is lost when the server shuts down.  If it had been copied to the flash drive during the shutdown, the date should have been sometime last night.  If you had no power outage, then the cause it probably caused by one other possibilities I mentioned.  If you were running 6.7.2 (apparently, from your signature, you are on 6.2.4), you could turn into the settings for the Syslog Server and mirror the syslog to the boot drive.  However, that is a bit hard on the flash drive if it takes weeks before it happens again.  

Am I correct in assuming that this is the first time that this has happened?  Was it some random event that might never happen again?  Only one way to find out-- wait for it to happen again.  

I suspect that would be possible.  I would suggest that you google    syslog server Windows   and you will find  several posts about doing it.  Apparently, you will have to install some software on your Windows machine to make it work.  I have never tried anything but the mirroring it to the boot drive.  If you need further assistance, start a new thread and request help in getting it working.   

Edited by Frank1940

Ok so I setup a syslog server on my windows machine.  Hopefully next time it does it I should find some clues.  I should be secured as I am setup with password.   The weird thing is if my system was shutdown proper it should have copied the syslog over to the usb.  However the odd thing was it didn't start a parity check on startup either.

Edited by Gragorg

If you were exposed to the Internet, you would probably be seeing hundreds of login attempts per day in the Unraid syslog.  At least, until they gained access to your server by 'guessing' your password.  By the way, the Fix Common Problems has a setting to limit the number of invalid password attempts per day.  (There have been several folks who have seen this...)  Usually these types of problems occur because someone decides to put their server into their router's DMZ so that they can share media with their friends and family. 

• Upvote 1