[SOLVED] unRAID with HP p420i RAID card in HP ProLiant DL380p G8...

I bought a new server, an HP ProLiant DL380p G8, since my last ProLiant, a DL360e G8, was such a RAGING success.  I got the new one because it's 2U, so I can try to shoe-horn a GPU into it, and because the CPUs are MUCH more powerful.

Well, I didn't realize when buying that it's got a friggin p420i RAID card...like...built into the thing.

I know unRAID doesn't like this.

I think I have a few major options...correct me if I'm wrong:

1 - Put it in HBA mode.  Well...to do this, you need some magical "SPP" service pack disk thing from HP which requires a service contract.  My attempts at finding copies online have been fruitless.

2 - Boot into some form of Linux...or something...and use some command line thing to enable HBA...or something.  I don't even really know.  hpssacli?  I'm looking into this now but really don't know anything about it, let alone how to do it.

3 - Set all the drives up in the RAID controller as individual RAID0 arrays.  Doable, but far from ideal.  Would I be able to add drives like this?  I know moving the setup to a new system would be basically impossible if I did this...

So...yea...anyone familiar with this hardware?  Anyone know any tips or tricks?  I'm all ears!  Thanks!

I bought a new server, an HP ProLiant DL380p G8, since my last ProLiant, a DL360e G8, was such a RAGING success.  I got the new one because it's 2U, so I can try to shoe-horn a GPU into it, and because the CPUs are MUCH more powerful.

Well, I didn't realize when buying that it's got a friggin p420i RAID card...like...built into the thing.

I know unRAID doesn't like this.

I think I have a few major options...correct me if I'm wrong:

1 - Put it in HBA mode.  Well...to do this, you need some magical "SPP" service pack disk thing from HP which requires a service contract.  My attempts at finding copies online have been fruitless.

2 - Boot into some form of Linux...or something...and use some command line thing to enable HBA...or something.  I don't even really know.  hpssacli?  I'm looking into this now but really don't know anything about it, let alone how to do it.

3 - Set all the drives up in the RAID controller as individual RAID0 arrays.  Doable, but far from ideal.  Would I be able to add drives like this?  I know moving the setup to a new system would be basically impossible if I did this...

So...yea...anyone familiar with this hardware?  Anyone know any tips or tricks?  I'm all ears!  Thanks!

Save yourself time and aggravation and just buy an hba card. H220 or Lsi variant will work great and you'll be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I figured it out.  Here's what I did.

Make a bootable Linux Mint USB.  https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Boot it up and go download hpssacli-2.10-14.0_amd64.deb from here.  https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/mcp/pool/non-free/

20190725_215354.thumb.jpg.5a8d2d67b743406558fcdc23fbf496fc.jpg

Install it and navigate to /opt/hp/hpssacli/bld and run this command:

controller slot=0 modify hbamode=on

20190725_215304.thumb.jpg.17a8efc9b815c1432206931f55299f7b.jpg

You're done.  This is exactly what I did and it worked for me.  All my drives show up now except my cache SSD, even though it was before, but I don't know if this is related or not.  I don't think it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • rmp5s changed the title to [SOLVED] unRAID with HP p420i RAID card in HP ProLiant DL380p G8...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 8:43 PM, rmp5s said:

Boot it up and go download hpssacli-2.10-14.0_amd64.deb from here.  https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/mcp/pool/non-free/

You're done.  This is exactly what I did and it worked for me.  All my drives show up now except my cache SSD, even though it was before, but I don't know if this is related or not.  I don't think it is.

Thank you! Worked perfectly! 

Same could have been done with SPP 2016.04.0, if anyone isn't inclined to go the linux/mint route on their own.

Also, there's a problem with the way the P420 reports drives by-id, depending on the manufacturer.

I experienced it with a pair of samsung SSDs. (Samsung 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256)

do:

v /dev/disk/by-id

and see if you have any items that are identical.

ex:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Oct 29 13:27 wwn-0x5002538500000000 -> ../../sdh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Oct 29 13:27 wwn-0x5002538500000000 -> ../../sdi

probably will see something in the log about it too:

Oct 29 13:27:12 Cube emhttpd: device /dev/sdh problem getting id
Oct 29 13:27:12 Cube emhttpd: device /dev/sdi problem getting id

Edited by sota
  • 1 month later...

im new to all the commands and code.. but grew up with dos..  so some of the stuff i can catch on to and pick up..    but i am having an issue getting this to work..

i booted into mint..  no issue
I downloaded the file and installed it.. no issue
I opened up the command prompt and just types in cd ect as directed..  no issue (so i think)   but this is where i need some help..   for me is shows up with the whole mint info before the ability to type stuff..  so on that screen it shows => and I am not seeing that..    and all of the commands that are typed in dont work..

help?!?

6 hours ago, Newtious said:

im new to all the commands and code.. but grew up with dos..  so some of the stuff i can catch on to and pick up..    but i am having an issue getting this to work..

i booted into mint..  no issue
I downloaded the file and installed it.. no issue
I opened up the command prompt and just types in cd ect as directed..  no issue (so i think)   but this is where i need some help..   for me is shows up with the whole mint info before the ability to type stuff..  so on that screen it shows => and I am not seeing that..    and all of the commands that are typed in dont work..

help?!?

Where do you see cd ect?

Once the hpsscli app is installed, go to /opt/hp/hpssacli/bld and run this command:

that command did not work!     however after a bunch of browsing around i found a thread in another place that said to try ./hpssacli controller slot=0 hbamode=on forced   and that actually popped up saying i didnt have permission..  so i typed in the sudo part i think it was first.. and it finally did a thing..  

now..   it shows the raid controller as disabled in nvram or something of the sort in the boot process..  and once fired up and logged in unraid does not detect my drives..    so i guess hba is toast or i killed the 420i controller card..  but if i hit the F8 key to setup my server slows right down and i cant type or select any of the settings to configure drives...    i basically have to reboot as i cant do anything settings wise..

basically i think i just have to pick up a new controller card for this beast..    anyone have any suggestions?

11 hours ago, Newtious said:

basically i think i just have to pick up a new controller card for this beast..    anyone have any suggestions?

I don't recommend running a card at all. The only reason I had to do all this on my machine was because the RAID controller is built into the motherboard. If yours isn't built in, just get rid of it altogether.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:40 AM, rmp5s said:

I don't recommend running a card at all. The only reason I had to do all this on my machine was because the RAID controller is built into the motherboard. If yours isn't built in, just get rid of it altogether.

Its built into the mobo on my machine...

Whats the max drive size for s h240 card?

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2020 at 9:25 PM, Newtious said:

that command did not work!     however after a bunch of browsing around i found a thread in another place that said to try ./hpssacli controller slot=0 hbamode=on forced   and that actually popped up saying i didnt have permission..  so i typed in the sudo part i think it was first.. and it finally did a thing..  

now..   it shows the raid controller as disabled in nvram or something of the sort in the boot process..  and once fired up and logged in unraid does not detect my drives..    so i guess hba is toast or i killed the 420i controller card..  but if i hit the F8 key to setup my server slows right down and i cant type or select any of the settings to configure drives...    i basically have to reboot as i cant do anything settings wise..

The firmware has to be above 6.x from what I have read:

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 10:43 PM, rmp5s said:

Thank you!

This worked perfectly for me on my Server - HP DL380p with p420i RAID card.

• 1 month later...

so after all the fighting with this thing..  I bought a card and still had issues..   i ended up ripping all the hard drives out of the machine and all of a sudden it worked..  added a drive at a time and found I had a drive that was faulty and it was causing the entire thing to crash..

who knew..   but my G8 DL380p boots with unraid on the 420i or my (i think its a h220) card      soooooo much forehead meets keyboard bashing over something stupid..      

I gotta say..  unraid has been a blessing and a curse lol..    its opened the doors to a whole new hobby thats frustrating as all hell...

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2019 at 7:43 PM, rmp5s said:

As you guys seem quite familiar with the model, I have a few questions to ask if you're willing to humor me.  I am based in Europe and I have a DL380p Gen 8 that I am considering using as my new unRAID server, but I have a few questions.  Firstly, mine (secondhand) comes with a few 600 GB drives, but I'd like to buy a few more and replace the 600s with higher capacity.  What is the largest capacity drives could I use to replace the drives in the trays and does it have to be HP SAS drives, as I don't fancy paying for HP drives for personal use.  Second question: I have the model that has 8 trays on the right and a DVD drive on the left.  How do I fit more drives or, if possible, how do I change the front panel to allow for more drives (I believe the limit is 25)?  Lastly, is it worth it, or should I just buy a full tower with lots of space for drives and use that instead?

I  have been using unRAID on a HP mini tower for a few years now, but the speed and capacity is starting to be a little limiting.

Thanks for everyone's time.

I have this same server..   8 bays..   they make add in boxes or slots for another 8 bays..   or you can pull the face off and go with either 25 sff or 15 lff bays .. i think 15.. might just be 12.. 

Ive read that the controller is the limiting factor in drive size..   in one of my servers i have 8tb drives hooked into an h200 i think it is..   im not sure  but in my 380p g8 i had to buy an aftermarket card..  

Im in canada and my search for a lff face to my server turned up with it costing about 200..  i paid 650 for the server..  so im hesitant about the swap..

As far as sas or sata..   my sata drives fit in the slots..    sas drives are just faster from what i have read..  

I have WD white label 10TB drives connected to mine.  They worked on the P420i controller as well, in JBOD mode, but there's drive ID issues with some manufacturers (namely, Samsung, in my experience.)

@Newtious it's 12 LFF up or 25 SFF front, and 2 LFF or 2 SFF in the back (optional.)

Edited by sota
18 hours ago, Newtious said:

oh..  find the manual...  its got the part numbers for the options these things came with

Thanks a lot for the help.  I'll definitely see if I can get the parts locally.  How is performance for you?  I assume it will be pretty good, but I haven't set it up for unRAID yet, so I can't tell.  The manual is great help for everything including part numbers. 

11 hours ago, sota said:

I have WD white label 10TB drives connected to mine.  They worked on the P420i controller as well, in JBOD mode, but there's drive ID issues with some manufacturers (namely, Samsung, in my experience.)

@Newtious it's 12 LFF up or 25 SFF front, and 2 LFF or 2 SFF in the back (optional.)

Thanks for the assist.  Did you get the 10TB SFFs for the front and bought extra drive caddies?  I prefer WD anyway, so I will have a look.  I assume you updated the BIOS to see the drive?

1 hour ago, sota said:

10TB are LFF.  I know of no one making a 10TB SFF.

When I bought the server it came with 14 sleds, as it already had the rear expansion bays installed.

I'm not seeing a rear expansion bay, but maybe I missed it.  Unfortunately mine came with the 8 slot front  SFF and the optical drive bay.  It looks like I can source the LFF slots, but it's pretty expensive ($300 as the lowest I've seen in Europe), but it's probably a better long-term solution than using my 8 slots.  Thanks for the help.

That's a lot more reasonable, even with shipping.  I'll do a bit of research, but at least if I get the rear part, it allows me to use the front slots for SSDs and SFF disks as well.  I assume I'll need a disk controller card for the rear cage assembly as well.

This is a really helpful forum.  Thanks so much.