[SOLVED] unRAID with HP p420i RAID card in HP ProLiant DL380p G8...

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 5:52 AM, dragnor said:

That's a lot more reasonable, even with shipping.  I'll do a bit of research, but at least if I get the rear part, it allows me to use the front slots for SSDs and SFF disks as well.  I assume I'll need a disk controller card for the rear cage assembly as well.

This is a really helpful forum.  Thanks so much.

380P and 380E are different cases..  the E comes with a bay in the rear for 2 more drives..   

• 1 month later...

Ok, I know this is a not the topic of the thread. I was able to follow this and get my HP DL380 G8 in to HBA mode. Unraid runs like a dream. However I now need to repurpose this machine and need to restore the hardware RAID, removing HBA mode. I have tried every SPP (or SSP) and they all give me the same.., no options to config the controller and the ctrl+alt+D+B+X on the menu does not work. I do not even know the command line needed if it did. Tried to install mint and use the other way however, you cannot boot from the hba drives so you cant install the full software. Same for Windows.. I have tried all I can think of. Anyone have some knowledge or idea's!?

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2020 at 1:59 PM, ftrees said:

Got it to install (must save, then install). Opened terminal and navigated to that directory.  Get error “controller: command not found”

nvm- need command first: sudo hpsscli 

hi there,

I'm having the same issue, where did you enter the "sudo hpsscli" command?

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2021 at 8:17 PM, linuxnewb said:

hi there,

I'm having the same issue, where did you enter the "sudo hpsscli" command?

I just did this myself, you need to do the following:

1. Boot into your array controller and delete all existing array disks that you have created.
2. Install Linux mint on a Bootable USB drive.

3. Download hpssacli-2.10-14.0_amd64.deb from here: https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/mcp/pool/non-free/

4. Install the package

5. Go into the folder of installation: /opt/hp/hpssacli/bld

6. Write:

./hpssacli

7. Write: 

controller slot=0 modify hbamode=on forced

8. Reboot and you should be all set with JBOD.

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2021 at 6:23 PM, Allram said:

I just did this myself, you need to do the following:

1. Boot into your array controller and delete all existing array disks that you have created.
2. Install Linux mint on a Bootable USB drive.

3. Download hpssacli-2.10-14.0_amd64.deb from here: https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/mcp/pool/non-free/

4. Install the package

5. Go into the folder of installation: /opt/hp/hpssacli/bld

6. Write:

./hpssacli

7. Write: 

8. Reboot and you should be all set with JBOD.

to clarify on this.

2.* You don't exactly need linux mint most debian distros should work. basically if you can install .deb package then it works. 

4.* (to install if gui doesn't work then command for installing is `sudo dpkg -i hpssacli-2.10-14.0_amd64.deb`

6.* Make sure you're the root user or else you won't be able to able to execute commands. instead of `./hpssacli` run `sudo ./hpssacli` if you're not the root user (as default user is not the root user for most debian distros now).

7.1 * Make sure you don't have any logical drives or else you won't be able to set it to hba mode. you can check that by running `ctrl slot=0 ld 2 show` it should say `Error: the specified device does not have any logical drive`. If it shows any logical drives the easiest solution is to just unplug those drives before booting into os before enabling hbamode

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to dig up this old topic, but I have an UNRAID setup on a DL380e using a bunch of RAID0 (for each drive) on the raid controller. It seems to limit the ability to see the health status of the drives. Should I switch the RAID controller to HBA mode? I assume by doing that I will lose all the data? Do I need to find storage for all the data while I make the switch or is there some magic way around doing that?

• 8 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 8:43 PM, rmp5s said:

I figured it out.  Here's what I did.

Make a bootable Linux Mint USB.  https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Boot it up and go download hpssacli-2.10-14.0_amd64.deb from here.  https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/mcp/pool/non-free/

20190725_215354.thumb.jpg.5a8d2d67b743406558fcdc23fbf496fc.jpg

Install it and navigate to /opt/hp/hpssacli/bld and run this command:

controller slot=0 modify hbamode=on

20190725_215304.thumb.jpg.17a8efc9b815c1432206931f55299f7b.jpg

You're done.  This is exactly what I did and it worked for me.  All my drives show up now except my cache SSD, even though it was before, but I don't know if this is related or not.  I don't think it is.

Hi, I have trying this command: controller slot=0 modify hbamode=on after I downloaded and installed it. But it say that the command not found.

Any idea what's wrong?

• 3 months later...

You can turn on HBA mode on a HP DL380P G8 with the P420i RAID Controller but the OS won't recognize the drives and all sorts of weird things happens to the drives. Plus the RAID Controller and cache is disabled.

Here's how to enable/disable HBA mode:

Make a bootable Linux Mint USB. https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Boot it up and go download hpssacli-2.10-14.0_amd64.deb from here. https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/mcp/pool/non-free/

Double click on the downloaded file in Linux Mint and install the program.

Open up your command prompt and go to: cd /opt/hp/hpssacli/bld

Then run the command: hpssacli

You will see two right arrows meaning it's waiting for a command.

To turn on HBA Mode Enter: controller slot=0 modify hbamode=on

To turn off HBA Mode Enter: controller slot=0 modify hbamode=off

If you turned HBA mode off, after booting the server, full RAID control will once again be available.

I tried HBA mode and installed TrueNAS Scale but the server would not boot into the OS. Better to leave HBA mode off and just load Windows Server or get an HBA card like a Fujitsu LSI 9211-8i, pop it in a Riser slot, hook up the cables to it and enjoy your JBOD's.

• 2 months later...

To you who runs DL380 Gen 8, I have the 12 LFF version, how do you attach your SSD Cache? The only thing I can think of is 2xPCIE Nvme?
In my old hardware I have a H310 that Im going to move to the new server with all the array disks, also 2x1Tb SSD but dont know how to connect them?

Edited by cloudstrife
On 3/27/2023 at 3:52 PM, cloudstrife said:

To you who runs DL380 Gen 8, I have the 12 LFF version, how do you attach your SSD Cache? The only thing I can think of is 2xPCIE Nvme?
In my old hardware I have a H310 that Im going to move to the new server with all the array disks, also 2x1Tb SSD but dont know how to connect them?

Use a 2.5 SSD SATA to 3.5 Hard Drive Adapter.

I'm using the one below:

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Adapter-Mounting-Bracket-Interface/dp/B01LZWX6PD

• 6 months later...

I bought an HP ML310e as an upgrade to my old solid HP Gen7 NL40..
It came with the onboard B120i controller which I use for my main unraid Array..  No issues..

It also had an HP 420 card, so I bought a used 5.25" 4-bay 2.5" IcyDock housing and cabling.. but it wouldn't 'see' the drives...Unless I used a direct SATA connection.... 😫 I dug around a little and learned about the HBA mode... then found this guide which resolved the issue - allowing me to expand my unraid drive capacity to 8 and use SSD cache disks... THANK YOU rmp5s! 🤘