Hard Disk Failed

Hello, I have just had a SMART error on one of my 3TB unraid drives, I suppose it has failed, So I am now looking into a new drive however the problem is is that I want the new drive to be larger 6-10TB however my parity is still 3TB I understand I will need to buy 2 New drives however how will I go about upgrading my array.

Or as I do not want to spend too much atm is there a way to upgrade just my parity disk to lets say a 6TB and then use the old parity disk to replace the failed array drive.

Edited by Guest
Just Cus
15 minutes ago, MarkPla7z said:

Hello, I have just had a SMART error on one of my 3TB unraid drives, I suppose it has failed, So I am now looking into a new drive however the problem is is that I want the new drive to be larger 6-10TB however my parity is still 3TB I understand I will need to buy 2 New drives however how will I go about upgrading my array.

Not all SMART errors are disk errors so it might be worth providing more details. In particular CRC errors are almost always NOT disk errors.

It would not be possible to replace the parity drive and the data drive with larger ones in a single step.   In your case you might want to make use of the 'Parity Swap' procedure which allows you to replace the existing parity disk with a larger one and also then use the old parity disk to replace a failed data drive.   This would mean that initially you only need to buy a single drive to upgrade the parity drive at this point and can buy the drives to upgrade data drives as and when required.

Edited by itimpi
Not all SMART errors are disk errors so it might be worth providing more details. In particular CRC errors are almost always NOT disk errors.

It would not be possible to replace the parity drive and the data drive with larger ones in a single step.   In your case you might want to make use of the 'Parity Swap' procedure which allows you to replace the existing parity disk with a larger one and also then use the old parity disk to replace a failed data drive.   This would mean that initially you only need to buy a single drive to upgrade the parity drive at this point and can buy the drives to upgrade data drives as and when required.

Ok I'll try posting the smart error on here to double check wether the drive has failed anyways thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk