Ryzen 3400G - how is it with Unraid?

Hi all -

New user here, looking to build my first ever NAS and decided that Unraid is the best option versus the others. At the moment I am trying to decide whether to build my Unraid box around a Ryzen 3400G APU or a Pentium G5600?

I plan on using Unraid in a home environment where it's going to be used for file storage for the family and storing footage directly from IP CCTV cameras. I expect it will also be used to serve movies etc on Plex and run Dockers - but I am not planning on running any VMs and gaming inside the VMs - so pass through is not an issue.

Thanks 🙂

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, noahbershatsky said:

Everything works ok then?

I haven't seen any evidence of it not! I've had it running for sometime now, seems completely stable. I've got five drives (one an external USB drive) plus a parity and it works well for what I use it for.

I'm also making use of several dockers, such as Krusader, Shinobi, Pi-Hole, Youtube Downloader and Plex. I expect streaming from Plex to many clients would be an issue, but for my wife and I - it's fine.

• 1 month later...

Just to follow this up in case anyone finds the thread. Having been running Unraid for a little while now, I find myself using it for more and more. I've got quite a lot of Dockers running, with 6 drives of varying capacity, 1 parity drive, 1 M2 cache drive and obviously my USB drive with Unraid on it.

Generally it runs OK and I think for people who have light demands of Unraid, an APU will be fine. However, when my server decides its time to do a weekly parity check, plus the mover runs to move files form the cache drive to the main array - the whole thing grinds to a very slow pace. You can see the APU threads being given a right thrashing.

I also run Shinobi in a docker container and need the system to be capable of continuing to run when a parity check/cache mover kicks off. I'm going to be retiring the APU when I upgrade my current main rig, which has a 2700X in it.

Hope this helps people with food for thought if they find this thread in a search :)

46 minutes ago, TangoEchoAlpha said:

However, when my server decides its time to do a weekly parity check, plus the mover runs to move files form the cache drive to the main array - the whole thing grinds to a very slow pace.

This is a known issue with the 6.7.x releases of unRAID, if that is what you are running.  I doubt it has anything to do with your CPU/APU.

In the 6.8.0 release candidates (RC6 is the latest and RC 7 is coming soon), this is resolved.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 5 months later...