Soon to be NEW unRAID User

Keelhaulers

OK, just thought I'd pop in here and introduce myself.  Just found you guys a couple weeks ago, and I've been frantically blasting through as many How-To videos as I have time for. 

I've not pull the gun as of yet, in fact I don't even have my equipment yet.  Still awaiting shipment.

Being honest here, I'm scared!  This is completely new to me, I'm an old pc hardware and Windows guy - never strayed away, never, not once.  Well OK, I installed Ubuntu once on a test machine and was completely lost, 5 minutes later, it was deleted.

I can watch the How-To video and follow along on most things, and I'm going to try this.  I have no choice really, I am pushing 40 TB of data right now with about 6 or 8 external hard drives sitting on the floor in my spare bedroom.  I have no backups nor do i even have a plan for one, so here I am.

I understand how the unRAID array works, shares work, and how VMs work - I've been using them for years in a Windows environment, I don't expect much difference in unRAID with them.  I've watch the video on what a Docker is in unRAID, how to install them, but I don't understand how they interact with each other.  And maybe this is something that will just click when I start my build. 

Why I am here:

1) I need a disk array solution that affords me at some protection against failures.  Also, if I plug one more external HDD into the computer I may cause a fire.

2) i need to be able to run a torrent application which allows me to download media, utilize VPN, and stay active in order to host torrent files.

3) I need to be able to run my Plex Server and have multiple streams ongoing while end users are watching inside and outside my home network.

4) I travel for work, I need to be able to access the server while away from my home.

I've seen enough How-To videos online to know these are all possible, I guess I'm just looking for some assurance that I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

I look forward to spending time in the forums, I don't doubt that I will have many upcoming questions once I start this process.

-Keelhaulers

Western NY

1-3 covered by UnRaid with Dockers and plugins and VMs.

Remote access is also possible however secure solutions to 100% access require research and care. There is no single switch to turn this on.

Parity will protect you from drive failure, but not from user error, theft, fire or water damage. Backups are still required for important data.

UnRaid is a data downloaders dream and media consumption tool.

Sent from my chisel, carved into granite

I'm also a noob but I found the set up went fairly smoothly and I was able to find the answers to any issues here in the forum.  So I had my hardware bought and everything running over a weekend.  I have a ton of stuff to learn yet, but my core needs were set up and working very quickly.  I have a bit more experience than you in running a server through a web interface, but everything is fairly straight forward so you should not have any problems once you get your hardware picked out and put together.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:13 AM, tr0910 said:

1-3 covered by UnRaid with Dockers and plugins and VMs.

Remote access is also possible however secure solutions to 100% access require research and care. There is no single switch to turn this on.

Parity will protect you from drive failure, but not from user error, theft, fire or water damage. Backups are still required for important data.

UnRaid is a data downloaders dream and media consumption tool.

Understood about actual backups - thank you!

40 minutes ago, ddr said:

I'm also a noob but I found the set up went fairly smoothly and I was able to find the answers to any issues here in the forum.  So I had my hardware bought and everything running over a weekend.  I have a ton of stuff to learn yet, but my core needs were set up and working very quickly.  I have a bit more experience than you in running a server through a web interface, but everything is fairly straight forward so you should not have any problems once you get your hardware picked out and put together.

Just waiting, hardware is slowly trickling in.  Won't have everything required until mid next week.  Really just need to dig in and have at it.  Can't wait until I have something new and shiny. Thanks ddr!

• Like 1