Possible new user :)

probedb

Hi all,

Been contemplating what to do about my video/music storage for a while, currently have 2x10TB drives just running as is on a Win 10 machine. I would like some parity on this but realised I'm going to need to buy a couple of drives before I can even begin.

The only thing missing that I use would be secure ripping of CDs, I've seen the MakeMKV docker which is excellent news however I can't see anything for secure CD ripping? It's the only thing that I can't give up the Win 10 install for as I buy a lot of CDs (yes I'm still doing that ;) )

The machine is a Core i5 4750K (?) with 16GB RAM and a 500GB M2 SSD running on the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot as the built in M2 support is only for x2 on PCIe 2.0.

How does UnRAID cope with me adding another PCIe SATA card at a later date? Currently I have 2 spare SATA ports for HDDs but that isn't going to be enough. 2 are taken with a DVD drive (CD ripping) and a BR drive (same but fails on some CDs for some reason).

Paul.

1 hour ago, probedb said:

Hi all,

Been contemplating what to do about my video/music storage for a while, currently have 2x10TB drives just running as is on a Win 10 machine. I would like some parity on this but realised I'm going to need to buy a couple of drives before I can even begin.

The only thing missing that I use would be secure ripping of CDs, I've seen the MakeMKV docker which is excellent news however I can't see anything for secure CD ripping? It's the only thing that I can't give up the Win 10 install for as I buy a lot of CDs (yes I'm still doing that ;) )

The machine is a Core i5 4750K (?) with 16GB RAM and a 500GB M2 SSD running on the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot as the built in M2 support is only for x2 on PCIe 2.0.

How does UnRAID cope with me adding another PCIe SATA card at a later date? Currently I have 2 spare SATA ports for HDDs but that isn't going to be enough. 2 are taken with a DVD drive (CD ripping) and a BR drive (same but fails on some CDs for some reason).

Paul.

You only need 1 more HDD to run parity (i.e. don't need to buy "a couple" to get started).

There is a Ripper docker that is supposed to work with CD (as well as video + data) but I have no experience with ripping CD (Spotify FTW).

You can ask questions in the docker support topic below.

With regards to PCIe SATA card, things work if you get the right card (e.g. avoid Marvel controller, may need to flash to IT mode with some cards etc). It's best if you have a few models in mind and just ask in the forum and usually an expert here will tell you if it would work (usually jonnie).

One thing to note is from my past experience, optical drives don't tend to work with SATA cards so you might want to reserve the motherboard SATA ports for the optical drives and use the card for HDDs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, I'd need a couple since I already have 2 NTFS formatted HDDs that are full....and one that needs to go back under warranty before it fails completely :( Plus I need another drive to copy the data off the failing drive. So I'd need 2 just to get started and then one at a time copy the data off the existing drives onto the new ones and then add them to the array. Wish I'd thought about this more before investing in larger drives 😅

Edited by probedb