New Build Threadripper 1950X 2Gamer/Server/Plex Media

Finished building new system week ago or so and was going to run VMware 6.7 but heard about unraid and the extra things I can do with it. I would like to get two gaming machines (with separate GPUs), one windows server 2019 for all the admin stuff and add-on Plex media system to run all my videos (in/out of the home).

After playing with the unraid os for four days I can into few issues. Any VM made that wasn't connected to pcie's or usb external parts and using VNC works smoothly. Once I start adding GPU, keyboard, mouse components, things start to not work correctly.

1. If I connect GPU to VM and run to install win10pro, everything works fine until the system needs to restart in order to finish its installation but after it reboots nothing shows up (no input from monitor/no keyboard/mouse input), so I have to restart the unraid system before I can get it to run again. 

1a. Once I can get window fully installed in updated, the install for the GPU its 40% load (screen should change to allow for the gnu it take effect and the show again) but freezes and nothing more happens. Even with full system restart, windows will no longer boot back up. Tried with many windows OSs and still nothing.

2. I have wireless keyboard/mouse but after connecting to VM more then once I can no longer keep the devices lined to that VM.

3. When selecting on any VM made it shows things to select on (stop/start/restart), except for force-stop and start no of the other functions work.

Does this happen for anyone else. 

Note:

Unraid Ver: 6.7.2

No Bios change

All Flash system (no HDD)

I'd really like to purchase this software if I can get my issues solved :)

Here is my system setup

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X399

CPU: AMD 1st Gen RYZEN Threadripper 1950X

GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX Vega 56

GPU: Radeon HD 5770 (x2 crossfire)

GPU: Radeon (for unraid only)

Memory: G.Skill 64GB

SSD: M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe 1.3 (x3)

SSD: WD 500GB

Edited by GodOMighty
spelling errors
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm running similar setup, working fine, though NVIDIA, not AMD GPU.  I would check your BIOS version, there are known issues with the very latest BIOS's affecting GPU passthrough e.g per below.  I'm not aware of thread ripper systems being affected yet, but it's worth a shot.  Alternatively, if you're running a very old BIOS, you should definitely update that as there's been all sorts of AMD microcode updates that impact virtual machines and passthrough.

I'm not sure about point 2, I'd suggest maybe the system has crashed due to point 1.

Regarding point 3, I see this happening too, when the system has crashed.  So again, maybe start with point 1 and take it from there.

Also, unraid has a nice system diagnostics utility you can run and post to this forum to help others to help you, optional of course.

On number 1, two things;

In the past, Ive found that Windows updates work better if I reduce the number of CPU cores assigned to the VM to 1. I've never had this impact an initial setup, and not recently, but you never know.

Secondly, in his recent 5700XT passthrough video, SpaceInvader1 encountered the same stall at 40% on AMD drivers. His solution was to use the Q35 machine type (rather than ifx440). That might be your problem as well.

On number 2, how are you connecting the wireless devices. Just passing through the individual devices from the VM setup page, or passing through the whole USB adapter? I've found full adapter passthrough to be much much much more relaivle with a wide variety of USB devices (sound devices, in particular). Worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 9:00 PM, Marshalleq said:

Hi I'm running similar setup, working fine, though NVIDIA, not AMD GPU.  I would check your BIOS version, there are known issues with the very latest BIOS's affecting GPU passthrough e.g per below.  I'm not aware of thread ripper systems being affected yet, but it's worth a shot.  Alternatively, if you're running a very old BIOS, you should definitely update that as there's been all sorts of AMD microcode updates that impact virtual machines and passthrough.

I'm not sure about point 2, I'd suggest maybe the system has crashed due to point 1.

Regarding point 3, I see this happening too, when the system has crashed.  So again, maybe start with point 1 and take it from there.

Also, unraid has a nice system diagnostics utility you can run and post to this forum to help others to help you, optional of course.

Great comments. Here are some few updates after playing with it for almost a month.

Yes, the bios I'm running is the original that came with the package and didn't touch it until I understood if more than one issue showed up before updating the firmware (It's said don't fix if it an't broken). I am reviewing further updated firmware and see how fare I should go. On issue 1, I found that going back to version 6.6.7 got me to be able to reboot windows without for restart unraid every time. It looks like it could be a unraid version problem after trying 6.7.0, 6.7.1 and 6.7.2.

As for GPU issue, I also found that using 6.6.7 helped out so adding AMD card to windows finally worked but only when using the drive coming from the cd from the package. If I update the software to the lasted from online it crashes again and window no longer boots.

I will differently look into the diagnosis utility and see what I can come up with.

Thanks

On 8/17/2019 at 12:29 AM, meep said:

On number 1, two things;

In the past, Ive found that Windows updates work better if I reduce the number of CPU cores assigned to the VM to 1. I've never had this impact an initial setup, and not recently, but you never know.

Secondly, in his recent 5700XT passthrough video, SpaceInvader1 encountered the same stall at 40% on AMD drivers. His solution was to use the Q35 machine type (rather than ifx440). That might be your problem as well.

On number 2, how are you connecting the wireless devices. Just passing through the individual devices from the VM setup page, or passing through the whole USB adapter? I've found full adapter passthrough to be much much much more relaivle with a wide variety of USB devices (sound devices, in particular). Worth a try.

Good knowledge all around. 

So fare I haven't had issues adding to many cores or less when assigning them to windows os but yes you may never know.

The GPU issue not solved but workaround was using the original software that came in the package vers the latest one online. For now I'm able to play all my games with my new GPU. I'll keeping looking into why the new GPU software isn't working out.

As for the usb issue, I was thinking about getting adaptors instead because it is true that all of mine are combined into one identifier vers separate.

Overall it looks like I am having little better luck with unraid version 6.6.7 with thread ripper then the newer version.

Yes you can revert quite easily.  Just some of your vm configs have to be redone - which is easy, just point them at the existing image files and be careful not to delete them when you delete the old vm config from within the GUI.

There really was quite significant benefit to being on the latest stable rather than the 6.6.7 version for VM's so honestly I'd start there.

And finally, I basically have to recreate the VM config every time the version of unraid is changed - so it's a good place to start.  I most definitely agree with using latest version of Q35 type given it's the only native pcie emulation for video cards of the two choices.