Kruzader - Transfering from unassigned disk to array

Hello Everyone. Im a new user to unRAID and im trying to transfer the data from my current HDDs to my array. I have followed the video spaceinvaderone has created which was really helpful but I notice something that I have not found the answer to. I got 1.2TB of media I need to transfer and when I used kruzader to do this I notice it all gets copied to the same disk. I selected all the files and dragged to the user share and selected copy. The share is setup to use "All" disks (2 array disks right now) and has a setting of "Most-free" but it still only copies to the same disk. If I copy a little data until my first disk has more data than the second disk then make another copy of a little data then it writes to the second disk. So my question is, does Kruzader consider one "drag and copy" as one transfer and thats why its only copying to the same disk? Is there a way to transfer large amounts of data but that it still follows the setting of the share?

Thanks,

E.

What is your split folder settings for the Share?

Krusader may very well be moving stuff under the same folder which based on split folder settings should be on the same disk and when you did things manually, you happened to pick stuff that can be split.

Btw, don't use Krusader for large data transfers. I have found Krusader (and MC) to cause fragmentation on my drives so I have switched to command line cp / mv instead.

Hello.

Even if split level was wrong wouldn’t there be at least something being written to the second disk?

The split folder for movies is top level. So the idea is that movies get spread across the disks but everything related to the specific movie gets stored together.

This is is what I want as layout. 

Movies (user share) > Movie_1 folder > movie, subs, images, etc.

This is what I want written. Example. 

Disk1

Movie_1 folder > movie, subs, etc.

Movie_4 folder > movie, subs, etc.

Disk2

Movie_2 folder > movie, subs, etc.

Movie_3 folder > movie, subs, etc.

For TV shows I put to use second level since I want everything from a season on a disk and split onto other disks but I don’t mind having a series have season 1 on disk1 then seasons 2 on disk2. 

Hello. I did some testing and im more confused now. I have 2 x 4TB array HDDs. I set a TV Shows share to "Most-free" and to "Automatically split only the top two directory..." and copied my TV Shows to it and see what happened. Before it all started there was 25GB in Disk1 and 15BG in Disk2. It started to copy everything to Disk2 like it should since its the one with less information on it. Once Disk2 got to over 25GB and it finished copying the current folder it does not switch to Disk1 for the next folder (season). It keeps using Disk2. I then deleted everything I transferred and did it again but this time with the share setting "Automatically split only the top three directory....". I expected it to work this time but this time it started to put the individual episode on different disk and not by season either.

My TV shows folder setup on my unassigned drive.

TV Shows (folder) > Series Name (folder) > Season Number (folder) > Episodes (files)

Im guessing TV Shows folder on my unassigned drive becomes the share and I transfer the folders with the series name to the share right?

I experimented the same with Movies and it went from putting all the movie on the same disk (top two directory) to putting the movies, subs, images of the same movie on different disks (top three directory).

It seems to skip the folder I want to split on in both cases. Am I doing something wrong?

14 hours ago, trurl said:

What will happen with many applications is the application will create all the destination folders in advance before creating the files. Then the files get put into those already created folders.

I think i just understood your post and the flaw with coping large amounts of data to an array with a software. Is there a software for unRaid that does not create destination folders ahead of time? This would let unRaid choose a new disk based on the settings after each folder is complete.

Did you check to see if Krusader is creating all the destination folders in advance like I said?

It does create the destination folders ahead of time. Then it fills it just like you said.

Edited by Ernie11
10 hours ago, Ernie11 said:

why does it make new destination folders when "top 3" is used?

Not sure I understand your question. Krusader is a separate application, and it doesn't know anything about split level. It just knows about the paths you have mapped in the docker. If those paths are user shares, then Unraid will enforce split level on the user share, but as you have seen, that will not help when the folders are created in advance.

What I meant on my previous post is that when I change the split level to the top 3 directories and then use kruzader it does balance the information on the disks. Even though it makes the folders in advance. Both my drives fill up equally. The only problem is that I end up with information all over both disks because of the split 3. When I change to split 2 for tv shows it just writes everything to the same disk and doesn’t split.