[Support] binhex - UrBackup

Has anyone tried a full image backup and then restore with this?
I did and the restore got as far as 23/24% and then bsod. 
Yes I have with success, you should not be attempting a restore whilst running Windows, instead boot off urbackup recovery and restore from that.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I really like what it's doing, having de-duped backups of a number of systems is great. Thanks @binhex for building and maintaining this docker.

Now, a few questions...

I am noticing that when a backup is running  (full image backup in this case) that urbackup maxes out one cpu core. It alternates every minute or so which one it is, but it 's unusual in doing this.

image.png.1bd56404eae7e0f59f137044dd246abd.png

Also, I initially allocated a single disk for backups, outside of the array. Then I thought I might run out of space, so set it to be inside the array instead (avoiding cache). Due to the number of links (I believe) if I run "Compute All" on the shares then the size of the urbackup share can't be calculated. Would I be better off putting this back onto a dedicated disk instead, and is there a good way to move the backups or do I have to start over again?

33 minutes ago, jsebright said:

I am noticing that when a backup is running  (full image backup in this case) that urbackup maxes out one cpu core. It alternates every minute or so which one it is, but it 's unusual in doing this.

i use urbackup myself but ive not really monitored cpu usage when a backup kicks in, but i would assume this is just how the app has been written, why it hops to a different core/thread i couldnt say tbh, maybe one for the urbackup forum.

33 minutes ago, jsebright said:

Due to the number of links (I believe) if I run "Compute All" on the shares then the size of the urbackup share can't be calculated.

this is probably due to the dedupe heavy use of soft/hard linking (a guess) that no doubt goes on with urbackup storage, i store my backups on my array and i havent really seen any issues with this, so unless there is a particular reason to move it then i would keep it on the array, i dont think i would be too concerned with not being able to calculate a share size.

Edited by binhex
4 minutes ago, binhex said:

i store my backups on my array and i havent really seen any issues with this, so unless there is a particular reason to move it then i would keep it on the array, i dont think i would be too concerned with not being able to calculate a share size.

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll leave it as is, though I might see if I can restrict it to a single disk and move other shares to other drives. Although perhaps I'm trying to be too neat with it. Beats the pain of trying to copy the files to another disk (which seemed problematic when I tried it briefly).

• 1 month later...

Great docker, thank you!

I wanted to enable the temporary file buffers (section 8.5.1 in the manual, this can speedup the backup when you have a slow array), but when I did, all the temp data was (temporarily) saved in the appdata dir.

This meant that if CA Backup started to do a backup while UrBackUp was working, that it also saved all those temp files.

I tried to set a TMPDIR variable with docker, but that didn't work.

It appeared that the TMPDIR var was set in the UrBackUp config file to "/config/urbackup/tmp/", and that the config file overrides the variable.

In the end I solved this by just redirecting the docker path to a external (to the docker) directory.

The "/mnt/user/Temp_UrBackUPFiles/" dir is on the cache drive with a "prefer" cache setting.

urbackup.PNG

Edited by Wimpie
small additions

I am having trouble accessing files in the appdata UrBackUp directory (eg saving an edited urbackupsrv config file).

I noticed that the root dir has other file rights than my other dockers.

Is this a bug or a feature?

urbackup2.PNG

Edited by Wimpie

Hello,

I am trying to setup UrBackup behind a letsencrypt reverse DNS, but when i set the Network type to proxynet all the mappings disapear and i cannot access the docker via the local IP neither public .

Did anyone tried to setup UrBackup via internet on unraid in the past ?

thank you.

image.png

Is this UrBackup container a server installation, client installation or both?  From what I can tell post-install and browsing through the posts, this appears to be UrBackup Server.  I ask because my intentions were to install the container to backup various locations on my UnRaid server to another system running Windows with UrBackup Server installed.  Is this possible with this container or am I going to have to create and spin up a VM with the UrBackup Client installed?

Thank you,

Erik

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2020 at 10:05 PM, jonathanm said:

I guess it either works or it doesn't. I have multiple clients of various flavours, linux, windows 7, windows 10, and they all work just fine.

Did you find any references to your error message when you googled it?

I did google it and found some similar errors but not a real clear fix.  I already moved on but I guess this is free support right :)  I am glad it works for others :) 

Can anyone help me to correctly configure urbackup (and other involved dockers) such that a remote computer can be backed up to my unraid array via internet?

Here's what I thought would work and tried so far:

1. Used duckdns to create a subdomain for this use case (**urbackup.duckdns.org)
  2. Added this to my reverse proxy letsencrypt docker config under the subdomain variable (this letsencrypt reverse proxy setup already works for other services of mine)
  3. (THIS IS WHERE I THINK I GOT IT WRONG) Tried to copy other .conf file examples to create one for urbackup [copied at bottom]
  4. Modified the UrBackup settings on the admin page under General -> Internet
    1. Added **urbackup.duckdns.org as the internet server name, added the LAN ip and port of my letsencrypt docker in the "Connect via proxy" section
    2. Checked the boxes to allow backups over internet (including enabling internet mode at top)
  5. Restarted both docker containers

I assumed this didn't work because the computer I had backing up over LAN could no longer see the server and following the **urbackup.duckdns.org URL got no response. I realized this was because the letsencrypt and urbackup containers were on different network types so I changed urbackup's settings to be on the right network and included 3 new variables to forward ports so I could still access the WebUI locally but still could not find it from the duckdns URL(the ports only get mapped correctly automatically if the network type is host apparently?).

At this point my local computer still couldn't find the local urbackup server instance so I reverted all changes and here I am.

Is this something easy where I used the wrong port in the proxy config file below? Do I have to change local client settings to backup over internet as well? I'm quite new to unRaid and networking concepts so I probably made a few mistakes...

No idea where to go from here but I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

# make sure that your dns has a cname set for urbackup and that your urbackup container is not using a base url

server {
    listen 443 ssl;
    listen [::]:443 ssl;

server_name **urbackup.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 0;

# enable for ldap auth, fill in ldap details in ldap.conf
    #include /config/nginx/ldap.conf;

location / {

include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
        resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
        set $upstream_app binhex-urbackup;
        set $upstream_port 55415;
        set $upstream_proto http;
        proxy_pass $upstream_proto://$upstream_app:$upstream_port;
   }
}

Edited by scd780
Removed true URL
On 7/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, johnwhicker said:

I did google it and found some similar errors but not a real clear fix.  I already moved on but I guess this is free support right :)  I am glad it works for others :) 

the issue is a windows one not urbackup, VSS (volume shadow service) is crashing for some reason and thus you are unable to get a working backup of the machine, as you mentioned above there are a lof of google hits for this so you would need to do some trial and error to figure out what the problem is with your machine.

just to confirm i also am using this with zero issue, backing up Windows 10 LTSB image and file level backups.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/19/2020 at 4:12 PM, scd780 said:

Can anyone help me to correctly configure urbackup (and other involved dockers) such that a remote computer can be backed up to my unraid array via internet?

Here's what I thought would work and tried so far:

1. Used duckdns to create a subdomain for this use case (**urbackup.duckdns.org)
  2. Added this to my reverse proxy letsencrypt docker config under the subdomain variable (this letsencrypt reverse proxy setup already works for other services of mine)
  3. (THIS IS WHERE I THINK I GOT IT WRONG) Tried to copy other .conf file examples to create one for urbackup [copied at bottom]
  4. Modified the UrBackup settings on the admin page under General -> Internet
    1. Added **urbackup.duckdns.org as the internet server name, added the LAN ip and port of my letsencrypt docker in the "Connect via proxy" section
    2. Checked the boxes to allow backups over internet (including enabling internet mode at top)
  5. Restarted both docker containers

I assumed this didn't work because the computer I had backing up over LAN could no longer see the server and following the **urbackup.duckdns.org URL got no response. I realized this was because the letsencrypt and urbackup containers were on different network types so I changed urbackup's settings to be on the right network and included 3 new variables to forward ports so I could still access the WebUI locally but still could not find it from the duckdns URL(the ports only get mapped correctly automatically if the network type is host apparently?).

At this point my local computer still couldn't find the local urbackup server instance so I reverted all changes and here I am.

Is this something easy where I used the wrong port in the proxy config file below? Do I have to change local client settings to backup over internet as well? I'm quite new to unRaid and networking concepts so I probably made a few mistakes...

No idea where to go from here but I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

# make sure that your dns has a cname set for urbackup and that your urbackup container is not using a base url

server {
    listen 443 ssl;
    listen [::]:443 ssl;

server_name **urbackup.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 0;

# enable for ldap auth, fill in ldap details in ldap.conf
    #include /config/nginx/ldap.conf;

location / {

include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
        resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
        set $upstream_app binhex-urbackup;
        set $upstream_port 55415;
        set $upstream_proto http;
        proxy_pass $upstream_proto://$upstream_app:$upstream_port;
   }
}

Did you ever figure out a solution to this? 

On 10/1/2020 at 9:32 PM, Dent_ said:

Did you ever figure out a solution to this? 

Hi Dent_, 

Nope didn't get back to troubleshooting as it wasn't a huge concern at the time, just something I wanted to enable to backup my parents' devices. At this point my best guess is something to do with DNS and the proxy? I have a pihole container that is my DNS but not DHCP and it doesn't seem to recognize cnames no matter what I do (newbie so I hope I'm using the term correctly. Example of this behavior would be that I have to use the direct IP of my unRAID server instead of the given name to access the webGUI).

I seem to remember thinking that I may have set the wrong, or not all of the necessary ports in the proxy config file. So that may be something to look into if you're troubleshooting yourself! Let me know if you figure it out

If you do go this route, don't forget to set a password on your urbackup installation! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/1/2019 at 10:15 AM, dstark4 said:

I deleted the image from appdata, and re-downloaded the docker and left everything default with the exception of pointing /Media to an empty share. Still having the same problem. I have attached a screenshot of the config.

urbackup.PNG

ur docker log.txt 4.16 kB · 2 downloads

If I manually specify a user share it will create the temp folders, client folders in that share?  I'm trying to keep my root share as "clean" as possible w/ just like backups, TV, Movies.  It seems like it would work in my head and wanted to throw it out here before I try it this weekend...or next weekend.  

Edited by cbr600ds2

For those that have completed backups with this from a Windows Client to unraid 

How long did it take?

What was the docker app pointing at to store the backups?  Unassigned device / Unraid Cache / Unraid Array
I have this setup and it appears to be working but my 500GB SSD on my windows host has been running for nearly 24hrs now and its still listed in the webUI as "indexing"

image.thumb.png.69f6b8b72a35b60b21bf335a855a11b4.png

I'm seeing writes to the array in the <1MB/s range

image.thumb.png.05f0422f93dc9fa4f59e36792c25f3f8.png

I have it set to a share that doesn't use the cache.

1 hour ago, snowmirage said:

For those that have completed backups with this from a Windows Client to unraid 

How long did it take?

What was the docker app pointing at to store the backups?  Unassigned device / Unraid Cache / Unraid Array
I have this setup and it appears to be working but my 500GB SSD on my windows host has been running for nearly 24hrs now and its still listed in the webUI as "indexing"

image.thumb.png.69f6b8b72a35b60b21bf335a855a11b4.png

I'm seeing writes to the array in the <1MB/s range

image.thumb.png.05f0422f93dc9fa4f59e36792c25f3f8.png

I have it set to a share that doesn't use the cache.

I have 2 Windows 10 clients hardwired on local gigabit LAN. Logs on one of them are showing an average speed of about 170 MBits/s during full image backups. This works out to about an hour and 15 min for 100 GBs of data. I'm writing straight to the array as well and I think it usually goes to my 5400 rpm drives in the array since they're the least full. Grafana shows my array disks getting hit with about 15MB/s from urbackup during backups. I also haven't had turbo write mode turned on for Unraid until yesterday so I might start to see higher speeds. Oh and I use the compressed format offered by urbackup which probably makes a difference! Seems this is only a single threaded workflow so speeds may vary depending on your CPU capabilities as well (I'm running a Ryzen 7 1700 Stock).

Here are my docker settings in unraid, I had a couple other things I wanted to keep in my Backups share so that's why /media is directed to a subfolder:

urbackup-settings.thumb.PNG.ccac6a10a47ff56b01cd2451adfb1269.PNG

Just a couple thoughts you may want to check: 

• I have my minimum free space set at 300GB for my Backups share, what is yours at? This might have something to do with it but I doubt it since you said it's stuck on indexing...
  • Have you gone through the Client settings in the urbackup UI? 
    • This one was big for me, I could not get it to back anything up for awhile because of default directories, excluded files, some windows file paths it didn't like that were hidden deep in AppData, among other things I think... 
    • Would recommend using the documentation (link in WebUI) to populate all of your settings appropriately from the server side and then uncheck the option allowing clients to change settings. When I allowed clients to change settings and adjusted them client-side, it never seemed to want to sync up!

I'd probably recommend removing the docker image for urbackup completely, cleaning out its spot on your array, uninstalling the client-side software and starting over with a clean slate! Had to do this when I added my second client since I screwed it up somehow. I can share pictures of my server side settings if you'd like as well. 

*Disclaimer: I am definitely not an expert on this, just happen to have it running smoothly on my setup so results may vary lol

19 hours ago, scd780 said:

I have 2 Windows 10 clients hardwired on local gigabit LAN. Logs on one of them are showing an average speed of about 170 MBits/s during full image backups. This works out to about an hour and 15 min for 100 GBs of data. I'm writing straight to the array as well and I think it usually goes to my 5400 rpm drives in the array since they're the least full. Grafana shows my array disks getting hit with about 15MB/s from urbackup during backups. I also haven't had turbo write mode turned on for Unraid until yesterday so I might start to see higher speeds. Oh and I use the compressed format offered by urbackup which probably makes a difference! Seems this is only a single threaded workflow so speeds may vary depending on your CPU capabilities as well (I'm running a Ryzen 7 1700 Stock).

Here are my docker settings in unraid, I had a couple other things I wanted to keep in my Backups share so that's why /media is directed to a subfolder:

urbackup-settings.thumb.PNG.ccac6a10a47ff56b01cd2451adfb1269.PNG

Just a couple thoughts you may want to check: 

• I have my minimum free space set at 300GB for my Backups share, what is yours at? This might have something to do with it but I doubt it since you said it's stuck on indexing...
  • Have you gone through the Client settings in the urbackup UI? 
    • This one was big for me, I could not get it to back anything up for awhile because of default directories, excluded files, some windows file paths it didn't like that were hidden deep in AppData, among other things I think... 
    • Would recommend using the documentation (link in WebUI) to populate all of your settings appropriately from the server side and then uncheck the option allowing clients to change settings. When I allowed clients to change settings and adjusted them client-side, it never seemed to want to sync up!

I'd probably recommend removing the docker image for urbackup completely, cleaning out its spot on your array, uninstalling the client-side software and starting over with a clean slate! Had to do this when I added my second client since I screwed it up somehow. I can share pictures of my server side settings if you'd like as well. 

*Disclaimer: I am definitely not an expert on this, just happen to have it running smoothly on my setup so results may vary lol

Thanks for the advice.  I'll try starting again from scratch.  I know around the time I was first trying this I was also setting up timemachine, and some other stuff, and ended up filling my cache drive.  That was where I had appdata and all my VMs.... they were not happy about that...  I've since moved all my appdata and vms to a 2TB nvme ssd, but its possible some left over config either server or client side is still messing stuff up.  So I'll nuke it all and start from scratch.

I also found a docker container in CA that will test each drives read and writes.  I'll turn off everything else and give that a try, as well as just try to move some files to the array via a windows share.  That should give me some comparisons between urbackup speeds and what I can verify the system can do.  My end up pointing out some bigger system problem... though I can't imagine what atm.