[Support] binhex - UrBackup

Hi all - since 6.9.2, my backups are created using wrong/no permissions and I have to rely on the "Docker Safe New permissions" thing in Tools to fix it.

The permissions the urBackup docker for the folders are set as:

d--------- 1 nobody users

and the files within:

---------- 1 nobody users

I tried changing the UMASK from 000 to 777 and no changes.

Other than the update to 6.9.2, and routine docker updates, there were no changes in configuration or anything else (that I am aware of)...

Would one of you know what to do in this scenario?

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, xxxliqu1dxxx said:

I tried changing the UMASK from 000 to 777 and no changes.

a umask of 777 means no permissions for user, group, or world, you need to change it back to 000 then re-run 'Docker Safe New permissions' one last time to fix up the damage.

Just now, binhex said:

a umask of 777 means no permissions for user, group, or world, you need to change it back to 000 then re-run 'Docker Safe New permissions' one last time to fix up the damage.

Done - changed to 000, restarted docker, Ran docker safe new permissions, then did another full image backup... and still no permissions given.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey folx, noob here, running urbackup on an unRaid system.

I've been able to get urbackup to launch and run and even make backups. But, I want to change where the backup images are saved. Currently they are saved in my /media folder on the array. I want to instead save them to a shared folder in my QNAP NAS.  I've mounted and shared the NAS folder, I can access it with File Explorer on my windows laptop, and I can even browse to it within the unRaid UI. But, when I go into urbackup settings and point it to that shared location, it can't find it. I get this error:

image.thumb.png.63d59493f92a6396bb74e7bda9ae57c6.png

urbackup can't seem to see anything under the /mnt folder.

I even tried pointing it to the NAS's IP address on my LAN and that was even a greater failure.

This is my current working settings for urbackup:

image.thumb.png.79f7431150163455824415d6b5d3ae8a.png

image.thumb.png.01c7e43862b3f60622a3853cdaacae1d.png

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Lonewolf147 said:

urbackup can't seem to see anything under the /mnt folder.

Because nothing is mapped there. Think of containers like tiny virtual machines. They can only access their own folder structure, which is NOT shared with the host, unless you map the location. Whatever you put in the "Backup Location" line will show up in the /media folder inside the container. If you want to point the /media folder to /mnt/remote/Computer_Images that's what you need to put there.

Right now you have it pointing at /media in unraid, which exists only in RAM and will be gone when you reboot.

4 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Because nothing is mapped there. Think of containers like tiny virtual machines. They can only access their own folder structure, which is NOT shared with the host, unless you map the location. Whatever you put in the "Backup Location" line will show up in the /media folder inside the container. If you want to point the /media folder to /mnt/remote/Computer_Images that's what you need to put there.

Right now you have it pointing at /media in unraid, which exists only in RAM and will be gone when you reboot.

Correct, but my problem is that when I DO point it to the Computer_Images location, I get the error shown in the first image. I just posted the second two to show the setup for when it does work to the array, not the NAS.

1 minute ago, Lonewolf147 said:

Correct, but my problem is that when I DO point it to the Computer_Images location, I get the error shown in the first image. I just posted the second two to show the setup for when it does work to the array, not the NAS.

NOT the application itself. That always points to /media. You need to change the container mapping. Update container, Backup Location

10 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

NOT the application itself. That always points to /media. You need to change the container mapping. Update container, Backup Location

Ok, so I left the app at /media. Then I launched it's UI and changed to /mnt/remotes/Computer_Images

image.thumb.png.5577b7f526eb0a24953b350bb90496db.png

and this is back to the status screen:

image.thumb.png.ad59a62a109abaa5dd9818d4c59b3119.png

Edited by Lonewolf147
spelling issue
1 minute ago, Lonewolf147 said:

Ok, so I left the app at /media.

No, You didn't.

In your initial post, second screenshot,

16 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Whatever you put in the "Backup Location" line will show up in the /media folder inside the container. If you want to point the /media folder to /mnt/remote/Computer_Images that's what you need to put there.

So I switched it around. Left it /media in the UI settings, and made it /mnt/remotes/ for the path and /Computer_Images for the container in the docker app itself.

No errors when I go to the status, but when I try to run a backup, I get a notice that the backup failed. There are no entries in the Log to say why and there are no new files created in the Computer_Images location.

4 minutes ago, Lonewolf147 said:

made it /mnt/remotes/ for the path and /Computer_Images for the container in the docker app itself.

What do you mean? The container side should be /media, the host side should be /mnt/remotes/Computer_Images. That's assuming you see the remote content at that path in the Unraid console command line.

So this is incorrect:

image.png.2659a69523be9d5404ea10c8b7e006cd.png

I've seen other apps (so I assumed this one too) create whatever folder is listed in Container Path, at the Host Path location. I didn't need to have Computer_Images two deep.

So do I make Host Path /mnt/remotes/Computer_Images and leave the container path blank?

• 2 weeks later...

Images over 2TB - what do you do?  I tried to backup a couple of 3TB drives to XFS formatted UNRAID system and got the error:

Data on volume is too large for VHD files with 2.8054 TB. VHD files have a maximum size of 2040GB. Please use another image file format.

As there is no other image format, is my only choice File Mode backups?

• 4 weeks later...